Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory Problems-Please Help

• Please log in to reply

odbojkas

odbojkas

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had problems with my laptop for a while now. I own Dell Xps M1710 with 2GB Ram, Nvidia 7900gtx graphic card etc...
Since 3-4 weeks now when I boot up my system I see green and red lines on the screen. When the computer is about to boot up to the main screen it goes black. Computer keeps to run but I am not able to see anything. If I start it in a safe mode its fine other then again these red mini lines all over the screen. I am not sure what the problem is and if there is anybody that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. If you need any additional info please feel free to write. Thank you in advance

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Most likely it's faulty hardware, specifically the screen or the graphics chip. So you need to get that confirmed or eliminated as a cause before you look elsewhere for what be causing it. That means a laptop repair shop. Most of them will just check it out for a nominal fixed fee and give you an estimate so you can decide whether to have any repairs done to it.

Laptop prices have dropped so dramatically, whilst repair costs have gone up, that it's seldom worthwhile having one repaired out of warranty unless it's something simple to fix.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try using a external monitor to test the video on the laptop. If the issue is still present then the problem is the video on the laptop. If not then the problem is the screen.

odbojkas

odbojkas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the help guys. It seems to be a problem with the screen afterall.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the issue fixed or did you have it looked at from a shop?

odbojkas

odbojkas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i did not fix it yet but I did the test with the external monitor and everything was fine. computer runs good on the external monitor. I will have to check how much this will cost now and if its better to fix it or buy a new one...thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
External monitor test shows that the screen on the laptop is faulty.
Depending on where you get the replacement screen it could cost a lot more with buying the screen and the cost of the labor to replace it.
I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the laptop first to see what they would charge for a replacement screen. I may be able to find instructions on how to replace it online if you think you can do it yourself.

odbojkas

odbojkas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the thing is I have to wait untill I am back in US to fix it. I am right now in Europe and here everything is double price. I think I could replace it myself. In ths time whilke I am here I will call Dell and see what they can do and the price before I go on any further. I thank you very much for your help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Your service manual

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
123Runner thanks for the manual and odbojkas just let us know as this topic will remain open so if need be you can come back to it once you are back in America.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 January 2010 - 08:57 AM.