Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop Icons or Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I ran a Kaspersky Rescue Disk scan on the data drive over the week-end. It took 17 hours to do 110G. Shocking. I still need to scan the Program drive which is 35G. If all goes well maybe next week-end.

Karen

Edited by RiverMiss, 26 January 2010 - 10:42 AM.

Advertisements

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I tried to scan the program files partition today with Kaspersky Rescue CD & kept getting an error message - that the database files were corrupt. The KLAVA files would not update. I made a new CD and had the same problem so I am assuming that the problem is with Kaspersky.

FYI, On the previous scan Kaspersky said that it found 276 trojans. The log file has too much personal information to post. The "trojans" were all in very old emails that had been scanned many, many times previously.

I copied in the registry files from a 3-8-09 restore point, the computer went south on 3-11-09. I was feeling pretty good that this would work. I thought my heart would pound right out of my chest on the reboot. A chkdsk ran and then the bootup & bummer... same problem - no desktop icons or taskbar. I really thought this would work.

I see that no one is responding to me unfortunately. But I am plodding on here alone. I hope that some of these postings might help others even if no one is helping me :). I would appreciate someone helping me. I have seen posts for others that would probably be able to help me and today being Valentine's Day perhaps I will be blessed.

Thanks in Advance,

Karen

Edited by RiverMiss, 14 February 2010 - 01:15 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi RiverMiss,

So the computer is still infected? This will limit what help I can offer here on the forums and also throws an "unknown" factor into the equation - the infection may very well stop any form of repair procedure from working correctly. How are you running scans on it if the taskbar and desktop icons do not show up? Did Kaspersky remove the "276" Trojans? What was the date of this scan?

Either way a repair install may help, by the looks of things you have not tried this yet.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey guys if i can add something here. RiverMiss back on August 21, 2009 you had the exact same issue you are having now and that issue was resolved in the malware forum.
That topic is located HERE.
I'm not sure because i didn't read the complete topic but you may want to go back through that and see what they suggested to fix this issue.
It seems that part of the issue was lack of drive space and a dirty volume C
I don't know if this will help Broni and Troy but it may be worth looking into.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

RiverMiss back on August 21, 2009 you had the exact same issue you are having now and that issue was resolved in the malware forum.

no...not exactly...pauline asked her to post in the hardware forum on july 24...
then closed the topic aug 1st for lack of feedback...

2nd thing was RiverMiss moved the data to a completely new system ...
she also did not want to run a chkdsk /r for fear of no longer being able to see her data...
then this on july 24

I bought a hard drive to replace the C drive on the broken computer but got the wrong drive - oops - so will be working at getting the right drive as well. I wanted a SATA drive and somehow picked up an EIDE drive

then nothing until Jan 3...almost 6 months...
so now we need to know is the system you want help with the old system with the old hard drive or
the old system with a new hard drive or
the new system...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry it looks like i just added to the confusion for everyone. :) :)

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Guys,

The drive never was full. The numbers were reported incorrectly and they had to re-write the software that reported that incorrectly.

A dity drive means that the computer had an unexpected shutdown. It has taken me a lot to find that is a true statement.

Pauline did not feel that the problem was from a virus infection so she wanted me to move the issue to the hardware forum because this was beyond her scope.

The six month delay was due to an illness and then death in my family. Priorities change when these things happen. My dad died. I am helping my mom a lot and my time is scarce now but I am trying to squeeze this in when I am able.

I recently had to remove the Internet Security 2010 problem from a friend's computer. She was probably one of the first to get the thing and she had it bad. It shed light on trying some more and different things with this computer.

I decided to do a scan with the Kaspersky Rescue CD and ran it on the Data Drive on Jan 23 or 24. I would post the log but there is too much personal info in their logs. If you really want to see it I can delete the personal info and post it. There is a separate drive in that computer for the data. I did move the last of the data off of the drive and onto a USB drive while I was in there. It found trojans in emails from 2003 and the like - ancient things that had been scanned a zillion times through the years and probably aren't anything.

I could not get Kaspersky to run Saturday on the "programs" partition of the drive - because I was getting errors from Kaspersky that the KLAVA files could not update. I have a few other programs I could try such as, Bit Defender, F-Secure and Avira. These are bootable Linux based CD's.

When you are in the computer in Windows you have to run things through the Task Manager and nothing runs if it has to be installed.

Right now I am regrouping to figure out the next step.

I hope that helps to clarify things a bit.

Thanks,

Karen

Edited by RiverMiss, 15 February 2010 - 12:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The six month delay was due to an illness and then death in my family. Priorities change when these things happen. My dad died. I am helping my mom a lot and my time is scarce now but I am trying to squeeze this in when I am able

This is way more important then the system and is completely understandable for your absence. No other explanation needed. Happyrock is one of the best and you are in great hands with him helping you. I'm sure he'll get you all straightened out and running the way you should be.

I'm sorry for your loss and I know the hurt as I lost my dad 3 years ago to cancer.

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thanks, this was a cancer related event also. It is hard to put into words how hard these things are to experience.

Karen

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
May I add my two pennorth I assisted in a similar problem a while back ( a malware infection). However, once clean there was no taskbar or icons and what worked for me at that stage was to repair the shell

To get your taskbar and start button back

Download fixshell.zip and extract the file to your desktop
Double click fixshell.com it may take a while and need a reboot
Let me know if your desktop returns

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Essexboy I really appreciate the help.

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I just went back through the posts and in June I had tried the following:

I have tried the nodesktop.reg - it ran but did not bring back the desktop.

I tried to run xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs - I received an error. In a Windows
Script Host Box it read:
Can't find Script Engine "VBScript" for script E:\xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs.

I ran the FixShell.cmd and now when I try to boot it is was stuck on the black
screen for a long time - stuck on the A - floppy drive before finally moving on
to booting but still no desktop.

Thanks,

Karen

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
one more time...
we need to know is the system you want help with the old system with the old hard drive or
the old system with a new hard drive or
the new system...

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Happyrock,

The system I want help with is the old system with the old hard drive. Sorry I missed your question. The software that is on that system is very expensive and cannot be replaced or reinstalled. That is why I am trying so hard to get it into a working state and maybe then figure out what to do next.

Thanks,

Karen

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if I remember right you did a chkdsk /r on the OS partition of the drive successfully but could not access the programs partition of the drive...is that correct...

click start...control panel...administrative tools...computer management...storage...disk management...
drag the window open so that everything shows...get a screenshot and post it please

also exactly what software is installed that you will not be able to reinstall...

Edited by happyrock, 16 February 2010 - 10:05 AM.