Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop Icons or Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Happyrock,

I don't have a start button to click on that computer. There is no task bar, so no start button. One must crl-alt-del for Task Manager to do anything. Then you have to either browse down to the .exe file or enter a command in New Task.

No I did not do a chkdsk /r yet. Been putting that off because sometimes the drive will toast depending on how screwed up things are. chkdsk /f has been run - last login and numerous other times. One must have been set in the registry that I loaded from March 8.

Have not tried to access the OS partition lately with the XP CD, but have had no problems with Linux based programs that I have been using. I do believe that the previous problem was caused from a Knoppix problem. I think that Knoppix did not unmount the drive properly prior to my trying the XP cd. That was quite a long time ago and I have been accessing the "C" drive in many ways since.

I have Astrology software on that computer that has to be activated per computer and paid up the whazoo for it. I hate to admit how much to be honest. Ok, have a good laugh. We all have our "things".

Right now I am still not sure if the problem is RAM, hard drive, motherboard, XP or virus. I keep extensive notes on my computers - updates, problems, etc. That computer was having data scrambling problems here and there prior to the big crash. By here and there I mean every few months or so. I was trying to figure it out but had not gotten to the bottom of it. I had installed 2 more RAM DIMMs some months before - at least 6 months before the big one - don't have the notebook near me right now. One of those not quite broke enough problems.

What info do you want from disk management - doubt if it will run - so I can perhaps figure out another way to get what you want.

Thanks,

Karen

Edited by RiverMiss, 16 February 2010 - 10:49 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the screenshot is what I'm after...
you can get there using the task manager...new task and type Diskmgmt.msc
you really should run chkdsk /r ...that can fix problems with the hard drive and no it will not toast the drive...it may tell you there are errors that it can't fix but it won't kill the drive
you also should run sfc /scannow or run a repair on the system...
either one will find and fix broken system files...that would get your start button back...
are you even able to run the Astrology software...

Edited by happyrock, 16 February 2010 - 11:39 AM.

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Happyrock,

I can run programs - like AVG, etc. that were installed prior to the problem using Task Manager. I did run sfc /scannow - will need to look through the notes to see what the result was.

Have to help Mom right now for the rest of the afternoon. It's my birthday tomorrow - I keep forgetting - so this is my reminder. Will see how far I can get in next few days. Doing anything on that computer takes a while.

Please refresh my memory - Task Manager - diskmgmt.msc - if it runs - had errors before that the management console was not working; Shift + PrtScn -> New Task -> mspaint.exe to save it out to the usb drive?

On there that could take hours.

Repair or chkdsk /r <- which one first?

The drive was reporting correct numbers in Linux and everything works fine when I run Linux based programs. But I do not think that Linux accesses all of the RAM - or the scan of the one drive would not have taken 17+ hours :).

Thanks,

Karen

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Repair or chkdsk /r <- which one first?

chkdsk /r

Shift + PrtScn -> New Task -> mspaint.exe to save it out to the usb drive?

yep...be sure save it as a .jpg or it may be to large to post...

On there that could take hours

what could take hours... :)

diskmgmt.msc - if it runs - had errors before that the management console was not working

if it fails to run you will have no choice but to run a repair on the OS

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Astrology software - okay I'm laughing! It didn't predict this problem? :)

Jokes aside, there is no way to move the license to another computer? That's pretty tough from the software writers then.

Happyrock has said CHKDSK /R won't kill the drive. This is true however if the drive is already on its last legs then it may very well kick it over the edge, not CHKDSK's fault but that drive was almost dead anyway, I've seen this before in my workshop where a failing drive had data on it, I tried to image it across to a new one but it failed, so I ran CHKDSK /R to straighten it out before trying the image again but it died. :) (I already had extracted the critical user data on it for my customer so all was not lost).

Please advise if you have run a hard drive diagnostic at all?

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Troy,

Figuring out how to move the astrology software over would be good. As far as I know the key is issued per computer and I am not sure where all to look.

I agree with you that I have seen chkdsk /r take out drives close to the edge and that is why I am going to do that as one of the last things I do and have been putting it off.

I ran the Dell diagnostics on the drive as one of the first things I did and it checked ok.

I was helping my mom this PM & my HP printer went out to lunch. I turned it off figuring it was just confused and when I turned it back on it won't finish initializing. I swear they have these things date chipped nowadays. I bet I haven't even printed 500 pages with this thing. It's an expensive Laserjet to boot. Unreal!!!!! It reads Hewlett-Packard >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>. I say, come on man, just a little more, but no.... Anyway, if it ain't one thing, it's 250,000 others. I work with my mom via the phone and fax to help her with all kinds of paperwork since my dad died. I'll be going for a new printer tomorrow.

Thanks,

Karen

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If the Dell diagnostic says the hard drive is fine then I would go ahead and run the CHKDSK /R now.

The only way to move the astrology program over is to install it again. Have you been in contact with the software makers to see if there is a way to install it on a new PC since the old one crashed?

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Troy,

Contacting the software people is on my list of things to do. With the printer down and a few other issues I probably can't get to some of this until later. I'll get back to you. If I have to go out of town it could be a week or two before I get back to this so if you don't hear from me for a few weeks right now be forewarned.

Thanks,

Karen

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries,

If it is longer than 14 days you'll need to send me a reminder PM when you are back as subscriptions to topics automatically expire after 14 days. Otherwise you might think we're ignoring you!

Cheers

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm not sure if this would help, but isn't it possible to retrieve the software key from your registry?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Depends on the software I guess, some programs do and some don't. It's a good thought though.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
You might be able to get the key easily like SpaceInvader75 suggested using SIW. You'll want to click the download button that says "Standalone English Version". Then run the program and click "Licenses" on the left side.

You should get an output similar to this.

Posted Image