Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 System Requirements

• Please log in to reply

RMPalomino

RMPalomino

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently purchased an Acer Emachine Netbook with the current standard notebook specifications.
(Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, but 250GB HD)

It came with Windows 7 Starter Edition Pre-Installed, and I've found it has quite a few restrictions on customizations and ease-of-use. I can't find any concrete information, besides the netbook inability to run Aero, that says the system requirements for Windows 7 editions vary. I've run the Windows Update Anytime software on Windows 7 SE, and it doesn't mention anything regarding this issue. I can't remember, but I don't believe there was any difference in XP Home or XP Professional differences, but I have a nagging feeling this isn't the case in Windows 7. Any input?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Surely, I have no idea about your financial abilities (and it's definitely none of my business), so I don't know, if $50-$100 this, or that way is a big deal for you, so I'll will only voice my personal opinion.

IMHO, it's a poor deal.
1. You don't want to have anything to do with eMachines
2. The processor is slow. Windows 7, like Vista prefers dual core CPU.
3. Windows 7, like Vista prefers 2GB of RAM, instead of 1GB.
4. 1GB may be "a OK" with Win 7 Satrter, but again, you don't want any Starters.

Just out of curiosity...how much was it?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Starter Edition is realistically a cut-down version of 7.

The least-featured edition of Windows 7, Starter Edition; the Windows Aero theme is not included, and it isn't available in a 64-bit variant. The desktop wallpaper, and Visual Style (Windows 7 Basic) is also not user-changeable, although third party software such as Stardock MyColors can allow these changes to be made. This edition is available pre-installed on computers through system integrators or computer manufacturers.

There is no Windows Anytime Upgrade available for Win7 Starter either.
I dare say the netbook was cheap in the first place and unfortunately this is how Win7 SE will work on it. Most netbooks will be effectively crushed with even Win7 Home Basic on them.

RMPalomino

RMPalomino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've answered my question at another site already, and I must honestly say that they were right rather than the advice I received here. I thank you two for the input, but as of yet I have not had a good experience with the community here. I thank you but must go against your word, as I've just installed a Windows Home Premium trial on my netbook and after testing I find that in the limited strain I put on the system, the speed and reliability is nearly identical if not better than Win7 SE.

My specs as earlier stated are:
$228 Acer eMachines eM250-1162
Board/BIOS: Acer eM250 v 1.23
RAM: 1GB
Processor: Intel Atom N270
Internal HDD 250GB

I found it to be a wonderful deal, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone I know.

Again I thank you, but disagree with the advice given entirely.

Edit: Looking back, the financial problems are valid, but the performance issues are invalid.

Edited by RMPalomino, 04 January 2010 - 06:10 PM.