Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OH MY GOD! i need help

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I guess you mean 750 or 744. You can try those depending if those are the permissions you want to give or try 755 which is the most common.

Advertisements

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok when i get home ill try 755. if that dont work than ill put it back how it is.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok i still need some help with this.
i changed it to 744, 777, 750, 755, and 7x5. none of these helped.

go to my programs, and click to download something, what does it do? im not sure if it only happens when my IP downloads, or if it goes for everyone. it keeps poping up this box asking for my FTP username and password. i dont like that, i cant be handing out my password or username to everyone. how do i fix this? i tried 777, thinking that that would help, but it didnt, still asked for my info.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You have the downloads through the FTP which is NOT the anonymous FTP section of your site. It is the FTP section which requires a password to access it. Look in your Control Panel or check Support for how to set up an anonymous FTP for downloading/accessing files.

You're alternative is to put those download files in the public_html (root) directory.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok, my root folder is the folder you specified above. in the folder i have a folder called "programs" and i have more folders in there, in those folders are my programs. so i could just move the programs to the root folder and it will work?
i don't want to do that unless i have to, i just want to make sure i got it right.

I'm going to do what you said, about making it anonymous, but as a backup i want to know what else i can do.

if i got confused than please tell me, thanks for the help =)

(and this is not related, but in this post did i use correct grammar? im trying to enrol in geekU, and i need correct grammar.)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Personally, I don't care about correct grammar. We have many from other countries who post here and it should never be a problem about grammar being correct or not. As long as a good post title requesting help and details enough to work with answering the proble(s), should be more than enough.

I am just suggesting the Anonymous FTP folder. You don't have to use that unless you want to. If you put all your programs in their own folder and change the paths to reflect the corrections on your web page, you should be fine.

The FTP section is just for that purpose...for people to access your files using FTP. There is one you control with a password and one that is public.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ohhh ok. i konw that my root folder is public, so that makes sense. so can i make my program folder public? i think thats what you told me to go to my control panel for, what do you think it would be under? i will look harder, now that i understand more than this will help =)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The program folder can be moved to the public_html (root directory) and it will be public as long as you have the correct CHMOD for the folder/files. CHMOD allows you to control access of select folders/files if you wish.

The Control Panel has everything you need to manage your site. My host uses VDeck, but the most common, I think, is cPanel.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok, my CHMOD is it 777....allows access to everyone, is that good?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you want everybody to be able to read, write and execute the files. It doesn't work with 744 or 755 should also work. The password problem was using the ftp link to your server where access requires a password.

Advertisements

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ya, i checked that out and none of my files require a password. i even tried putting a password on the folders, and than taking it off to see if it was just not telling me that it had a password on it.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok, now i got sick of it asking for a password, so i wanted to experement....nothing hard though.

ok go to www.kitkin15.tk, go to: "downloads, browsers" than click to download "avant browser" does it ask for a password? yes

now go to www.kitkin15.webege.com, try to download the same thing....does it let you? YES. do that means dot.tk is messing with things. it dont make sense to me, how can i stop this from happening? im going to go to dot.tk now and check out the control settings, but if you know anything i dont, than please.

i was going to just change the programs link on www.kitkin15.tk to this: http://kitkin15.webe...wnload home.php. but i cant do that, whatever i do to one, happends to the other, dot.tk only redirects the website, it isnt a whole different site its self, so am i screwed?

Edited by kitkin15, 10 January 2010 - 08:25 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Both asked me for a password. You are still using the wrong link. Why are you making it so hard on yourself? You have:

<a href="ftp://[email protected]/public_html/programs/browsers/absetup(browser).exe">Avant browser</a>

That is a totally incorrect link. A relative path would just be:

<a href="programs/browsers/absetup(browser).exe">Avant browser</a>

A full path is:

<a href="http://www.kitkin15.webege.com/programs/browsers/absetup(browser).exe">Avant Browser</a>

You would be better off zipping those executables. Or use...

Forcing File Downloads in PHP: http://abeautifulsite.net/notebook/27

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
well....i just foundo ut that my hosting service dosnt allow .exe.....so thats what my bigest problom is, if you go to games, portable games, and download one of those .zip, it works. and aobut the link being wrong. i also just now understand what you mean when you say that link is bad. now i think ill try exactly what you said. thanks =) if i have any more probloms ill post agin lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
kitkin,

it's come to our attention that you've got a lot of things on your website as of now that you're probably not allowed to host directly. Most of the apps that you're hosting are actually controlled apps (even if they are free) and their creators have expressed rules that forbid private hosting of their files. You should be linking to the creator's website instead of hosting the files. You can ask permission from the creators of the applications for permission to host their files, but most will probably deny your request. I doubt you're intentionally trying to host things without permission but you need to know that doing so can have adverse effects on you. The owners of these applications can take legal action resulting in anything from shutting your site down to putting you in jail

here's a quick list of things that i KNOW you shouldn't be hosting directly:

IE7: Microsoft does not allow for ANYONE to host their files elsewhere, for any reason. Even if you had asked permission to host this file, they would have denied it. If you would like to direct people to use IE7 then you need to LINK to the official MS IE7 download page (http://www.microsoft...t-explorer/ie7/)

MalwareBytes: Both the free trial and the portable app. i know for a FACT that they DO NOT allow anyone to host their installers. because of the sensitive nature of their application they cannot afford for there to be "unapproved" hosting locations. they're reputation is actually at stake with this one. IF by some chance of fate you're hosting a compromised version, then people will think that it's their fault and not yours.

Kapersky: same as above

Spywareblaster: more of the same

HJT: ESPECIALLY now that this is owned by TrendMicro. TrendMicro does not allow for ANY of their software to be hosted elsewhere. FOR ANY REASON. Even if you ask for permission. If you're hosting an older version of HJT (from before Trend bought it) then i know that the creator would not be happy with you hosting their files

this is just a partial list based on what you've got hosted now. i'm pretty sure that the rest of the apps you're hosting fall under the same category. you really need to think about what you're doing, just because a program is free to use, doesn't mean the creator wants their files hosted elsewhere. MOST free apps are supported by the ad revenue generated by people going to THEIR site to download the file, if you host the file elsewhere, then the creator doesn't get any ad revenue from their application. which has the effect of making it difficult for the creator to offer support or make updates to their programs.