Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Won't Start in any mode

• Please log in to reply

Briannola

Briannola

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I am trying to fix a Dell Dimension 4550 with WinXP Home. When I boot the computer I get the th page where it ask if I want to start in safe or normal mode etc. It does not matter what mode I use but it ends up with the BSOD with
***STOP: 0xoooooo7B (0xf7BD8528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
It tells me to run chkdsk /f but when I go to Recovery Console, chkdsk /f is not one of the choices. I ran chkdsk /r but I get the same results. I tried the procedure at http://webcast.broad...e.jsp?id=8658-1 but that did not work. I went back several days before it happened but that did not work. I pulled the Hard drive and ran virus scan with it attached via usb to another computer but the scan was negative. So the hard drive is fine. I am trying to recover without reinstalling Win XP. Can you help?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am trying to recover without reinstalling Win XP

Does this mean you have no XP disc to use?

Give this a try. Without knowing a little more about what caused the problem, I can't guarantee it will work...and it requires the machine you make the disk on AND the machine you are fixing are both running XP.

Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO

* In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
* Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
* Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
* Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
* Click File and select Save As...
* Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.

* Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
* Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
* Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
* In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
* Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
* And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Thanks to wannabe1

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks rshaffer61. Thanks for the quick response and sorry about my delay. I have been out attending bowl games. GO Navy! Also attended Sugar Bowl althoguh I did not have a dog in that fight. I will try this tonight and let you know how it worked out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem as I understand this time of the year being a full platter. Take your time and I will be here waiting for your reply.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
btw, I do have the windows XP Home disk and I was able to get the key codes. It appears that the disk is WinXP SP0 but up to SP 3 had been installed via windows updates. Does this info make a difference as to what procedures to use?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope for most of the tests it only matters that the disk is the same type of XP not the SP version.
Have you had a chance to try the previous instructions yet?

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I just did and I get the same result .
Windows start screen shows for a second and then BSOD with
***STOP: 0xoooooo7B (0xf7BD8528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Btw, I did reseat all of the cards and reseated the cables and ram.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I know this might be obvious but did you change the boot sequence in the bios so that the cdrom was the first boot device?

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
:-) Yes I did change the boot sequence. I previously updated the Bios (just to let you know that I understand changing the boot sequence). Your instructions were to install userinit.exe from the recovery console and to get there I had to boot from the CD. When I installed the file, it was already there but I over wrote it to see if it made a difference.

I thought I might have a hardware problem but I pulled everything except the video card (but I reseated eveything). I also pulled the hard drive ran a virus scan with my other computer. It is my brother's computer so I don't know what he did when it stopped booting but he did say he had just did a windows update. The computer will not boot in any mode so I am not sure how I can know what update installed or how to uninstall it. Is there a possibility that a bad driver was installed? When I run in safe mode, I see the drivers loading and the last thing I see is AGP440.sys loading. There is a short pause the BSOD. Is there a way I can get it to ask before installing each driver?

Advertisements

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
rshaffer61, not sure if you saw my last post. Any more ideas for me?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you reboot and get to the list that has Safe Mode in it?
In that list there is another option named Last Known Good Configuration That Worked
Highlight that and then click Enter
Does it now boot up?

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The computer will not boot in any mode. All options lead to same result. When I try to boot in safe mode, I see the drivers loading and the last thing I see is AGP440.sys loading. There is a short pause the BSOD. Is there a way I can get it to ask before installing each driver?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe there is a option to ok each driver but it has been a while since i have had to do that in any OS.
If that doesn't work then when need to attempt one of the following but all depend on the system being able to boot to the cdrom.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

If not then we need to try a Repair Installation... This will keep your programs and data safe but will hopefully fix what ever is killing XP.
If still no jy we will have to do a Parallel Installation.... This is a little more time consuming but it will save your data. Some if not all the programs may have to be reinstalled

This is the exact steps I would like to take in this order

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ran chkdsk /r:
"CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume."
I rebooted with the same results.

I remember the option to ko each driver prior to loading but I don't see that option. I guess I will try the Repair the Installation. Since I only have WinXP SP0, will I have to re-install each service pack?