Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Recovery

• Please log in to reply

trauty

trauty

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP computer about 2 years old. It wasn't starting up to windows it just kept restarting getting to the loading windows screen and then restarting. I thought I would be smart and attempted to do a system recovery from the HP screen by pressing F10, once I realized that this would restore my computer back to the manufactury settings I turned my computer off before pressing proceed. I have now started my computer, windows loaded, and it is now back to when we first got the computer. Please tell me that I have not lost all of my data. Is there any way of retreiving my pictures, videos, and various other files??

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I believe you can but it depends on what stage the recovery reached before you stopped it.

1: Try to boot in safe mode, if possible, and backup your data.

2: If not successful then download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the my links. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. Use the default setting except for choosing screen resolution of 600x800 when given the option to do so. After the program is loaded click the icon that looks like flash disk. This will open the file system and will enable browsing your folders. Find the folders that you want to backup, copy and paste them to another storage device.

If the computer doesn't boot, set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device.

trauty

trauty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
What if did a full system recovery?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
full recovery equals HD format and XP reinstallation. This can be done after you backup your data first.