Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network lag every 4> seconds, Router log suggests attacks

• Please log in to reply

Padmasana

Padmasana

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, I recently formatted (from my Virut infection) And its all clean now, but one thing I thought was my computer, the lag every 4 seconds whilst in games, or pinging a server to test my lag, the latency spikes, my log on my router says there are attacks coming through. Most of them have different IP adresses, this is a real example (I put my router back to default factory settings to see if that might fix it) There was 40 pages of these attacks in less than a few hours. Jan 3 23:24:26 Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:63.111.69.123) detected. There are tons of them, and needless to say noone wants to play with me when I'm in games like SF4 from this crap, it started sort of recently, within the last two weeks. Any idea what I should do?

(also I phoned my ISP ((Shaw Cable)) and they said there was no change on their end, but they did see a lot of activity, he worded it like "I don't see anything that should be causing your problems, but just to be sure, can you reset into safemode (networking) and blah blah blah and close every internet based application you have open" did that and he said "There seems to be a lot of activity, its not stopping me from connecting but there is significant latency." Halp. I absolutely LOATH this lag!

Edited by Padmasana, 04 January 2010 - 01:39 AM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I ran into this once with my Comcast cable. I ended up calling them and requesting a new WAN IP address. That solved the problem for me, but I feel bad for the next guy that got that address.

Padmasana

Padmasana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks, Ill try that soon.

Padmasana

Padmasana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, That did not work... Got a new Ip and its still freezing every few seconds... anyone else got any theories?