Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing printer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Fragilespiral

Fragilespiral

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to install a hp psc 1317 on my xp computer.

When using the disk it tells me that the RPC server is not avaliable... I don't know what that means, it sounds scary. I've tried to install it three or four times now.

I found a few drivers from the internet and downloaded them, but they didn't work either... when it asked for me to connect the printer, and I connected it, the installer for one reason or another couldn't finish and the drivers still aren't installed.

:)

So I give up and hand the problem to you!

I've always had problems with this printer and I am close to chucking it away...

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-fragilespiral -hp psc1317printer (1-4-2010)

Fragilespiral – Welcome to Geeks to Go –

First let me give you the following HP Links -

HP1317 Support –
http://search.hp.com...contact_us.html

Setup & Manuals
http://h10025.www1.h...C...ng=en&cc=us

Drivers &Software Downloads
http://h10025.www1.h...r...ng=en&cc=us
Now RPC stands for Remote Procedure Call . . .Which is dealing with the – Printer spooling - - - I think which has to do with Administrative Tools ‘ . . . But first we will check to see if printer is installed properly . . .

HP1317 Printer is a USB Printer . . . and My experience with HP Printers . . is that they omit an important step in their Setup Procedure . .

I see that you are online … So I will make introductory Post Now – And you can Post back the steps you have taken so far . .

[EDIT}
OOPS- just did a refresh & I see you are offline ---I will research & prepare - Things to do procedure #1 -

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-fragilespiral -hp psc1317printer (1-4-2010)

Fragilespiral – I stand corrected – I downloaded the HP Setup Procedure - - And They have corrected their setup procedure to Include ……at least on the ---Setup wording -

IMPORTANT- Do not connect the USB cable until software installation in Step 15

But I do not have a copy of their – Setup Disk – So I really do not know if they – correctly tell you when you are to connect the USB Cable –

With USB Devices – You must install all Software 1st - And also install all USB drivers before connecting the USB Cable - - The problem with the Printer USB drivers is that ---most of your USB Drivers are installed via your Operating system- - -But there are additional Secondary/supplementary Manufacturer Specific USB Drivers that must be installed first - - -also – that contain Manufacturer Code –Device Code & inf file

And they are not installed – until you [Restart your PC] – I have had better USB installation success by connecting the USB Device – for the initial time - - - (In order to permit – Plug &Play] install printer by -

• After installing the software & Drivers –
• Then do a RESTART to install everything –
• Then Shut Down the PC –
• Now Connect USB Device while Computer is Off –
• Turn USB Device ON
• Now START PC –
Then during the Windows Startup Process - - -New Hardware is Found - - and Plug & Play should install your printer correctly at this Point - - -

The next thing you have to do is to set Printer to – Set HP1317 as Default Printer
And then set up USB Port - - Using the Printer Properties Setup - -and other printer setup preferences –

Now during your previous Printer Installations- - -Did you receive –New Hardware Found ???
YES or NO - - - - -This answer will determine our next steps - - -

Jack123