Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where'd the Network go?!

• Please log in to reply

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hello,

I've been troubleshooting issues with malware for a couple days. After I ran a fix with OTL and the computer rebooted, everything involving networking disappeared from my computer ((nothing in the network folder in control panel, gives error message "The Network Connections Folder was unable to retrieve the list of Network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the Network Connections service is enabled and running")). Work offline was also checked. Additionally, my desktop adopted a new scheme for the start menu(looks kinda like Win 98).

I've tried several things. First, I went into the command prompt and ran regsvr32 netshell.dll, regsvr32 netcfgx.dll, and regsvr32 netman.dll; after a restart it produced no changes. I proceeded to uninstall the network driver from device manager and let it reboot. That didn't work. The last thing I just did was go into My PC, Manage > Services: Network connections, PnP, Remote Access Connection Manager, and Telephony are all not started. When I try to start them, I get error 1083.

I need to fix this problem so I can get back on the internet and fix my malware problem. Please help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Vimpoco2010.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,,
Rorschach112 ask me to try and assist you. I will look through your malware topic and see what I can come up with. I understand you don't have a XP cd there with you?
Any chance of borrowing one just in case we may need it?

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 January 2010 - 08:55 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Start then to run
type in Cmd and click Enter
Type in ipconfig /release all then click enter
Now type in ipconfig /renew all and click Enter

What are the results please?

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hey, thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Looks like it says the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

If we need an XP CD I believe I will be able to ..acquire one if necessary.

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 07 January 2010 - 05:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it might help .
Tell you what go to Device Manager
Expand the Network Adapter entry and get a screenshot.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 January 2010 - 08:55 AM.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hey.. thanks for the advice but I've got a much bigger problem on my hands now. The glass in the screen of the non-infected laptop (Sony Vaio PSG-8Y2L)fell and got cracked. I'm researching and trying to figure out how to acquire another screen or glass replacement or even something about how to fix it & about laptops. I know a bit about desktops, but very very little about laptops. Stressed and don't know where to start :) Anywhere on this forum I can ask for advice?

I'd have a computer to continue this topic on in the meantime, but as far as my computer is concerned, I'm in the process of reassembling it in my new case... but I'm entirely unfamiliar with it and I'm researching how to continue with that as well.

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 07 January 2010 - 11:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Build You Own System
A great tutorial with pictures and step by step instructions on how to assemble a system from the ground up. Compiled by one of our own Techs here at GTG.

The laptop replacement screen I'm sorry I'm not sure where to find one except to go through Sony for it.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 January 2010 - 08:56 AM.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Are you familiar with the software "Acronis" at all?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Somewhat. We use it for imaging a drive a lot of the time.

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 January 2010 - 02:14 PM.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Because on the infected & damaged laptop there's apparantly a restore point made by acronis (reason the manufacturer supplied for not giving us an XP CD) that we can restore this machine to, with all the drivers and software and system files and everything all set.

He said to just press F11 and it's self-explanitory from there.

Now to clarify, there's only one option to press F11 at during the startup of the machine. When I press it, it only asks for what boot device I want to use. That doesn't bring up anything about Acronis. I could just press DEL and edit the boot device if I wanted to do that.

Anyway I researched a bit and found a moderator on the support forum of the software saying that one could change the key that it uses by changing the number in a file in the acronis folder. I changed it to F9; I hit from the instant I powered on and until I got to the login screen. Didn't get anything.

If I could figure out how to get this Acronis system restore to work the problem of this laptop would be pretty much totally eliminated because I have the important data backed up to a USB drive (not to worry because the acronis restore point has a corporate anti-virus installed and at the ready for when I transfer data).

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would seem what they are describing is the recovery partition.
When you get to the boot device is there a 2nd hd there to chose from?

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
There's SATA, CD, USB, and one other (my internet adapater I think?) I tried selecting all of them like four times and each time (unless I have a CD in when I select CD/DVD, of course) it stalls at a black screen with some text and goes "DHCS.(sp)" .." ..." ...." ....." ......" and eventually gives some kinda message and loads windows.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask can you still get into windows and if so please do the following.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Yeah I've actually been posting on the questionable laptop.

Attached Thumbnails

• HD.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Acronis True image does not create a "restore point".
If it was done correctly, he would have created what was called "acronis secure zone".
This would be a protected partition on the hard drive that had a image of the drive.
It would be started by the F11 key as you found. It is a image and would be almost like a recovery partition.

I do not believe it was created properly. There may be an image there, but I suspect it would be almost like any other image. You would gain access to it by booting off the acronis boot CD.

http://en.wikipedia....onis_True_Image
http://en.wikipedia....nis_Secure_Zone
http://www.acronis.c...ueimage/tour/5/