Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 95

• Please log in to reply

LAvenus79

LAvenus79

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Open to anyone:

I know in theory that Windows 95 can be installed on any size hard drive as long as the partition is installed as a 2GB. Am I right? or am I wrong? Please help me clarify this.

Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Good question.

I believe you have two different issues to consider.
One being the maximum size of Hard Drive your computer's BIOS can support. An older machine may not be able to support a large Hard Drive ( without jumping thru hoops that is.)
And two the maximum hard drive or partition size your operating system Win 95 can support.

As to the latter question I believe that it depends on which version of Win 95 you have. Windows 95 Build 950 and 950a (works with FAT 16) or Windows 95 Build 950b and 950c (works with FAT 32 and FAT 16). If you can only use FAT 16 then yes you are probably right. If you can use FAT 32 then you are probably wrong. See http://www.pcnineone...howto/fat1.html for more information.

However i'm not certain and am now a little curious. Do you know which version of win 95 you have?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Read it here :

IDE hard drive size limits

Hope this helps.

Ron

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
why use 95?

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Great article Major Payne. Covers it all. :tazz:

why use 95?

Win 95 reguires less memory and takes less space. I use it on a 486 altho in principle 98 would work, I doubt it would work as well. 95 is good on old legacy machines that still have some use to somebody. At least that's my guess. ;)

LAvenus79

LAvenus79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Open to anyone:

I know in theory that Windows 95 can be installed on any size hard drive as long as the partition is installed as a 2GB. Am I right? or am I wrong? Please help me clarify this.

Thanks.  ;)

View Post

I would like to thank you for your help especially that info on HDD size limits. I'm just asking this because a customer asked me about it. She didn't want to spend any money on a new OS using her old computer. She has Win 95 and wanted to install it in a new hard drive. I told her that the smallest capacity CompUSA sell is a 40GB. I told her that it might work. I asked her the same question too. Why not use Win XP instead? She said she hates it. I have no comments for that one because I hate XP myself but I have to use it to go to class. Anyway, I'm really happy to know that there are people out there who are willing to share information to help the lesser ones understand better. I just wanted to know if I was on the right mind set on that. I didn't want the customer to be disappointed.

:tazz: