Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing. Possible overheat but all fans work

• Please log in to reply

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Hi I got help on this sit a very long time ago and you guys were incredibly useful and informative so thanks for that :)

Ok I've just moved back to uni and my desktop computer has started freezing up completely and requiring a switch off when running fairly intensive games for a little while (stuff like l4d2 on high and Prototype).

I think it might be overheating because when it freezes if I switch it off it won't start up again until I leave it for a short while and if I don't run any games it doesn't appear to freeze at all. I wasn't sure if this problem was related to an issue I had a while ago before the christmas break where the computer was acting in the same way but far more commonly.

I discovered at that point that the inside of the computer was VERY dusty so I bought some compressed air, cleaning stuff and thermal paste (my flatmate knows a bit mroe about computers so he walked me throug hall of this). I aired out the inside of the computer including the heat sink of the CPU (the dust was stopping the fan running). I cleaned off the thermal paste and reapplied the new lot as directed very carefuly, replaced everything and it ran fine. I've taken my computer home over the christmas break and it's been over a month since I cleaned it out and the computer has run perfectly fine it was only the day I ran it once returning to uni that I had this freezing issue.

Looking inside the case shows all the fans working perfectly fine (the top one occaisionaly had issues starting up over christmas but always did in the end and runs fine now) so I'm really at my wits end at what wrong unless I've knocked something loose that I can't find.

basic deatils of my comp are:
Intel core 2 duo e6600
Nvidia 8800GTS

Any help would be appreciated and if you need any more diagnostics I could get from somewhere that'd be fine. Thanks for any help you can give :)

Advertisements

Fllash

Fllash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there,
When playing games, using a program like speedfan (for temperature monitoring), see if you can get some readings when playing the intensive games that cause it to freeze.

I have very similar specs, and my system gets very hot at points, but does not crash.

Im thinking that it may be related to the Power Supply (PSU),
To test this (and other stability issues), some softwhere like Orthos, or Prime95, will stress the system heaps, and possibly rule out hardware failure for some parts.

To sum up, try SpeedFan for temperatures, Prime95 or Orthos for stress testing, and have a poke around in Event Viewer (Control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer) and scroll down for and red 'X' marks that are around the same time as a system freeze, and post any results.

Sorry if that is a little confusing,
Good luck,
Josh.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok so I ran speedfan for a short while of running l4d2 in windowed mode and it seems the CPUs both heat up a fair bit.

My flatmate had me run prime 95 before, we didn't put it on for too long but maxing out my cpu useage it was puting it up at pretty high temps of around 65 which is the safety boundary I think intel specify.

We looked up the GPU running temp as that always shows up as hot but apparently that one was normal unless you guys know otherwise.

Here're the pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by inferno_blaze, 05 January 2010 - 09:45 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about the PSU readings?

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Just edited to show pics properly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When was the last time you opened the system and cleaned it out using a can of compressed air to blow out all the dust?
You need to pay special attention to the fans in the system. The 3 most important are
PSU fan and vents
CPU fan
Second Case cooling fan...usually located on the front inside of the case.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
As I said in my original post. I did a bit clean out before christmas which was when it was overheating then. I can give it another go with the compressed air if you think that'll help

edit- And in response to josh I had a look in event viewer but couldn't see any red crosses. Wasn't sure where I was meant to be looking though.

Edited by inferno_blaze, 05 January 2010 - 10:04 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I prefer using this program to check the events.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

If neither of these gives us a hint we will try some diagnostics on the hardware and see what jumps out at us.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
The computer crashed about 20-30 minutes ago but there were no recent crashdump logs (from whocrashed). I gave the PSU a clean with compressed air.

Output log: 
Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows Vista in English
Report run at 05/01/2010 16:46:28

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:05:50
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 8193 Source: System Restore
Failed to create restore point on volume (Process = C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe /V; Descripton = Installed Rapport; Hr = 0x80070422).

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:05:50
Failed to create restore point on volume (Process = C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe /V; Descripton = Installed Rapport; Hr = 0x80070422).

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 11:27:10
Failed to create restore point on volume (Process = C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs; Descripton = Windows Update; Hr = 0x80070422).

'Application' Log - Information Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:45:41
Type: Information Category: 0
Event: 1 Source: SecurityCenter
The Windows Security Center Service has started.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:45:40
Event: 0 Source: gusvc
The event description cannot be found.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:44:09
Event: 0 Source: gupdate
The event description cannot be found.

'Application' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 02/01/2010 01:26:41
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 1530 Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.	 DETAIL -   0 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-379615367-1450696013-1163128831-1000:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/12/2009 22:53:28
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.	 DETAIL -   5 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-379615367-1450696013-1163128831-1000:
Process 588 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-379615367-1450696013-1163128831-1000
Process 588 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-379615367-1450696013-1163128831-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root
Process 588 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-379615367-1450696013-1163128831-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\SmartCardRoot
Process 588 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-379615367-1450696013-1163128831-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\trust
Process 588 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-379615367-1450696013-1163128831-1000\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/12/2009 23:28:41
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.	 DETAIL -   0 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-379615367-1450696013-1163128831-1000:

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:42:53
Event: 6008 Source: EventLog
The previous system shutdown at 16:16:37 on 05/01/2010 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 04/01/2010 18:34:01
Event: 7034 Source: Service Control Manager
The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 04/01/2010 17:01:08
Event: 7011 Source: Service Control Manager
A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the  service.

'System' Log - Information Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:45:43
Event: 7036 Source: Service Control Manager
The Windows Media Center Service Launcher service entered the stopped state.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:45:41
Event: 537 Source: Microsoft-Windows-TBS
A compatible Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Security Device cannot be found on this computer.  TBS could not be started.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 05/01/2010 16:45:41
Event: 7036 Source: Service Control Manager
The Security Center service entered the running state.

'System' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 04/01/2010 23:33:34
Event: 4001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig
WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped. 

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 04/01/2010 18:37:13

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 04/01/2010 08:11:57

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 22/04/2009 14:20:47 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0x87B23510, 0x8B41B1C0, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042209-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 191.07 
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 191.07 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Edited by inferno_blaze, 05 January 2010 - 10:55 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
have you recently done any updates to hardware or software?
How about driver updates?
Anything downloaded from the internet just prior to this starting?
The system crash I see that looks like it is related to the crash you just had was due to the System Restore software.

Let's try this.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
This is taking a VERY long time sitting at verification 75% complete. I hope it's meant to...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes depending on what all it finds wrong.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Well it's still at 75% about an hour later :/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Cancel it and do the following.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem