Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing. Possible overheat but all fans work

• Please log in to reply

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok the orignal one just finished says 100% verification doesn't say anything else. Do you not want the log from that if I'm doing this next bit? I'll probably run that overnight. If you think this might fix it would you mind letting me know what you think the issue might be?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the sfc finished then it has done its job. I'm looking at hardware failure as being the problem so I'm having you check the hardware that is most likely the culprit at this point.
The chkdsk /r will check the physical surface of the hard drive platter for problems.
The next test will be the actual hard drive with a diagnostic for it.
Then I will have you run a memory test that in itself will take several hours at least to complete.
These test take a while but it will tell us for sure if the problem is one of these problems. Being that you have cleaned the inside of the system out and state that the fans all are running correctly then I don't think it is a overheating issue.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I ran that and it completed pretty quickly in fact (under an hour, maybe even under half an hour) and the njust rebooted up. I tried running dragon age for around an hour and it didn't freeze. Not sure if it's properly fixed as I've gotta sleep but if I have any more issues after testing it some more I will post in here.

Thanks for your help so far thou hI'm not really sure what actualyl fixed stuff ^^;;

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem. I will return in the morning to see how everything is running. :) :)

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Sadly the problem still exists :) it froze a short whle after me booting it up just to check an email.

I'm not sure if this will help at all but. When I try and turn it on again after it freezes. The lights in the case all turn on and the fans turn on but nothing loads, not even bios. my monitor doesn't recieve any signal and sometimes the computer beeps a few times (it does this same thing if I leave my ipod connected when I try and start it or have some certain dvd in the disk tray.

Also when it started up the top fan on the case would judder before starting for quite a while. it would stop start stop start over and over before turning on properly.

Hope any of this helps. It sems to be getting worse as it just froze again while trying to write this the first time :)

little edit- The only reason I thought it might be overheat is that my room was pretty warm using it this morning and I've taken the side off and opened my window to let the VERY cold air in atm and it runs enough to type this. I don't know too much though... Please help :)

Edited by inferno_blaze, 06 January 2010 - 02:13 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

the computer beeps a few times

Post beeps come in code so in what order do the beeps happen.

How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Well it's definitely repeated continously. I'm not really sure what the beeps are because it's hard to force it to do it but unless the others don't repeate it's be the last ones you posted. It's sort of a long beep then two shrot beeeps I think repeated over and over. Keeping the room cool and the case side of seems to help it so I thought it might be an overheat. I'll see if I can make it do it later on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It's sort of a long beep then two shrot beeeps

This indicates a video problem.
One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem
Now if it is indeed a overheating CPU i would suggest checking the fan to make sure it is making contact with the cpu. Also how old is the installation of the fan and cpu?
Did you put thermal paste between the cpu and fan or was the cpu a retail version?

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 January 2010 - 06:16 PM.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I put thermal paste between them but it was my first time ever doing it and I may have knocked something loose transporting it. Do you reccommend doing the process again and reputting it in? I've had the cpu in for a good year and a bit since I got the computer cleaned and redid the thermal paste early december.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
December as in just 6 days ago?
I would check just to make sure the fan and heatsink are secure against the cpu.

Advertisements

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
No as in early deceber so like around the 10th of december. It seems pretty secure I looked at all the connections while it was switched off and I'll look again but it seemd fairly secure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK can you provide a new speedfan screenshot?

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
of how it is just idle or running stuff? It shouldn't be any different to the old pictures I provided as I haven't changed anything since then.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only thing we haven't checked is the memory so that is what we are going to do now.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Um you didn't post an option A to take?