Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop freezing/not responding

• Please log in to reply

Bewsh

Bewsh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
okay so i have had this laptop (HP HDX 16) for a year now, i use it pretty much everyday and it gets fairly hot. The other day i was playing a game on it and the game suddenly stopped responded, i thought it was something to do with my internet disconnecting or something so i just pressed ctrl+alt+del, it seemed to load up fine until i clicked 'task manager', it sort of froze then the screen went black, i left it for about 5 minutes to see if it would respond but it didnt so i just held the ON/OFF button on my laptop and rebooted. It all seemed fine for about another 15-20 minutes and then it all froze up again. it seems to only happen when i have the laptop charging. ive been searching all these different things on the internet about what it could be and a few people seem to have fairly the same thing, i downloaded SpeedFan to see what temperature the GPU was. All i have had up today is internet browser and messenger and the GPU raised to 68C, on other days when i have had the charger in my laptop has got much hotter (when i feel it) and if i ever played a game on it then the fans would be going crazy (im not sure what temperature the GPU was as i didnt have speedfan then). im not sure what else i can say really, thats pretty much it, ive probably forgotten something to say im not sure, oh and another thing, when i opened my laptop earlier (from stanby) the screen was white with all of these vertical lines as if the monitor was breaking etc. Anyways, thankyou for reading this and any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the really long post :/ and also i wont be able reply to anything (if anything) until tomorrow. thanks again.

Advertisements

Fllash

Fllash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there,
Well, we can see if Windows reported anything happening at the time of the crash by going into Event Viewer:

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer

On the left hand side, select 'System'

Scroll down until the time of the event is roughly when you experienced your crash. Look for any red 'X' marks. Post anything you find.
Alternatively, attach a screenshot if anything turns up.

Josh.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
you can also try this which may give Fllash even more information to help you.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Bewsh

Bewsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there,
Well, we can see if Windows reported anything happening at the time of the crash by going into Event Viewer:

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer

On the left hand side, select 'System'

Scroll down until the time of the event is roughly when you experienced your crash. Look for any red 'X' marks. Post anything you find.
Alternatively, attach a screenshot if anything turns up.

Josh.

Okay i looked for anything around that time, there wasn't really anything there around that time apart from a couple of errors for something called PlugInPlay (dont know what that is :S) and for task manager. Although there was two criticals of the same thing for todays date.

Attached Thumbnails

• Critical.JPG

Bewsh

Bewsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

you can also try this which may give Fllash even more information to help you.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

I tried the VEW program but it came up with an error saying: 'Run-time error '75': Path/File access error.'

And for the WhoCrashed results:
Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no valid crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.