Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Login/Logout problems windows XP

• Please log in to reply

sleepy3371

sleepy3371

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I am having a very big problem with not being able to login in windows xp home edition. I have my windows xp restoration disk with SP 1 and my computer which is a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop with a SATA hard drive. I have tried booting in safe mode and even using administrator with no password and same thing back to logging me back out. I also tried the classic login same thing back to logging me back out. I also tried restarting my computer pressing F12 to get to my boot devices for which I do have my onboard or usb cd-rom device first in my BIOS setting and when I select this one and press enter in the boot device menu which is onboard or usb cd-rom device. I get this message: selected boot device not available strike F1 to retry boot,F2 for setting up utility. Same thing pops up when I press F1 but of course F2 comes up my BIOS again. My question is how in the world can this problem be fixed with a computer for which I can't login to windows xp ? I do have a working computer but, it's Windows Vista desktop and it's SATA drive. If someone can help please !

Advertisements

chavi

chavi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Man forgot your password or ..????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello sleepy3371.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Put your winxp cd in cd drive and reboot your system
When prompted to push any key to boot to cdrom then click a key
Click R to enter recovery console

Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If not post with result 

sleepy3371

sleepy3371

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks rshaffer61, I did get my windows xp system to boot from the cd but, the problem was my systematic ghost windows popped up and well looks like this was the only choice I had was to do a full system restore at this point. I lost everything but, I did get my windows Xp to run again as a matter of a fact the computer runs better. I didn't lose any major files or pictures or anything. I always try burning my pictures or important files to a disk because, personally I don't trust any computer. As a matter of a fact My Windows Vista the one I'm using right now Is a no name brand I built it myself. I still like Windows XP better though don't know about Windows 7 yet herd it's not that great. Anyways my probem is resolved with the Windows Xp login/loop. Now I gotta get bussy with Microsoft Updates is only the downer.

Thanks Everyone

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry it came to a new installation and you lost files.
I am glad to hear you got the issue resolved. Thank you for letting us know how you resolved the issue and thank you for choosing GTG for assistance.

jump326

jump326

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi what if you have no disk? i have a Compaq presario and it does the same as the above