Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 x64 freeze, lag

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try the following.

Before returning the GPU, here's a few things you can try:

Please download and install EVGA Precision from here. (Click on the Download (America) or Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Run EVGA Precision. On the right side, you should see Fan Speed and, beside it, an Auto button. Click the Auto button so that it is no longer selected, then change the Fan Speed to 100%. Now, go to the left side, and on the bottom, click Apply.

If that doesn't alleviate crashes, try this:

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Now reinstall the newest drivers.

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the instructions

Advertisements

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I will to this later tonight, as I am in a hurry, but thought of mentioning something.
I've found this forum topic on the internet http://forums.nvidia...amp;hl=nvlddmkm , but this forum isn't very active, and also there aren't any apparent solutions, and there is no obvious mentioning of lagging or freezing, just the black screen part and the error which i got, from that file. hope it doesn't count as advertising.

Edited by trosco, 06 January 2010 - 09:33 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the other thing I saw in that topic is a possible memory problem. I doubt that is the issue but it is worth checking out also just to make sure.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
i've done the first thing, cleaning and reinstalling the nvidia drivers. I'll see if I get this problem again, so I'll leave a reply as soon as it happens, or in about a week, if it doesn't and it's solved. I'll also try taking off my ram sticks, testing them individually with memtest, but if I still got the problem. So be back soon.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thnaks and I will keep my fingers crossed for this to be resolved for you now.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
well it worked great for a few days now. But just earlier, I tried to open a picture, it opened, but then the cursor started lagging and freezing again. It wasn't as bad as it used to be, Winamp didn't freeze this time either, and it only took one restart to get it back working fine. But apparently the problem isn't 100% solved, but it's more manageable. I'll try the ram testing, but I have 4 RAM sticks, should I test them individually? (i mean taking the other 3 off and testing the current one, and rotate it?)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'll try the ram testing, but I have 4 RAM sticks, should I test them individually? (i mean taking the other 3 off and testing the current one, and rotate it?)

Yes with no doubt that would be the suggested method of testing. This will let us know also if it could be only one bad stick instead of having to replace the whole lot.
Good work on the testing and please let us know what the memory tests show. I'm curious as I think it may be a faulty memory module.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
well I haven't tested my memory yet, but in the last 4 days I only got the error 2 times, so this is a major improvement (comparing to 4-5 times a day). Now it just freezes, no lagging, and a quick restart get's it up and running perfect, so that's OK for me. No driver errors. So I consider this manageable, I don't think either that the problem was in the RAM, because it should be behaving like before, and it clearly doesn't. Also I can't really open my PC up, this theoretically would void my guarantee.
In conclusion, I consider the problem 99% fixed, and if it will appear more often, I've saved this topic, so we can have a benchmark to start from. Also, if I get the problem again, should I pm you to help me with, you knowing the problem best?
And thank you very much for your time, you helped me a lot on this!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you can pm me and we will continue from this point.
If the system is still under warranty then I would suggest taking to the shop you bought it from and have them repair it under warranty. Since the video card I believe would be covered under the warranty it would be worth the time to have it looked at under warranty before the problem becomes even worse.
I am happy to continue the help but as you said we are going to be limited to what we can do because of the warranty.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I've just come across something, which I thought would be worth mentioning, maybe for others' use. Yesterday I installed some new codecs, which came along with a free video player - MPCStar. Just after installing them, the problems came back, as bad as they were a few days ago. After uninstalling the program and cleaning and reinstalling the video driver, i managed to get it back to normal. So the problem had to be somewhere in those codecs (which can be selected not to be installed with the program).

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the K Lite codec package?
This is the one we suggest as it seems to be the most infection clean and is updated regularly.
Let me know if this helps.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
yes, actually I already had installed the K lite codec pack, i tried these other codecs because I've had them before and i thought they were better. Anyway, I'm sticking to the Klite

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How is everything with the system working now?

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
well it's fine now, been having some issues with windows explorer crashing, but only now and then (appcrash). But it could be related to something else - my external HDD started to malfunction, orange light appears and every time i run or open something on it it freezes my pc untill i disconnect it, so I'll have to use some diagnostic tool on it to see if it's going to the trash or not.
Anyway, the PC is working fine now, thank you again for your concern!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's see what the crashes are about.
Run a new log from post 12 and also do the following

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

This will let me know what app or driver caused the crash.