Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't boot flash light

• Please log in to reply

trigirl

trigirl

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello, I would appreciate any help or suggestions the genius have out there! I woke after shutting my computer down the previous night. (note, no previous issues noted before). The computer simply had flashing light and wouldn't boot OS. I tried putting in CD to do a repair, seems that did not work. I do not want to lose my data on my Hard Drive. I will possibly be going out to get an adapter to pull the data off. However trying to see if there is anyway I can diagnose and fix this issue. I also did the Dell Diagnostics. (took about 2 days to run through). It had no errors, but did skip over some tests:
Under OS Errors, Hard Drive Errors, System Locks Up, and Windows Blue Screen categories, it all skipped the following sections:
SATA/Disk Confidence Test
SATA/Disk SMART short self test.

With this stated can you help me with diagnosing this and help with recommendations to fix?

Thanks much!
R

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
System is Dell I take it?
Laptop or desktop?
What model is it?
Do you get any post screen at all?
If you do get post screens how far does the system boot before it fails?

trigirl

trigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
System is Dell I take it?, YES Dell Inspiron 6000, laptop
Laptop or desktop?
What model is it?
Do you get any post screen at all?- only get black screen with blinking light.. won't boot anything. can't get safe mode, nothing.
If you do get post screens how far does the system boot before it fails? it doesn't fail, it just sits there and can't do anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a external monitor to see if the laptop screen is the problem?
If this provides no screen then I would suggest it needs to go into a shop. You may have a failed motherboard at that point.
How old is the system and is the system still under warranty?
I would suggest if the system is not under warranty then purchasing a external 2.5 inch enclosure would be a great ideal. This will allow you to backup the data to a desktop system if nothing else is available at the moment.

trigirl

trigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello..
Well I don't think it is the screen as I ran diagnostics and it showed just fine on the screen.
It appears my only course maybe to get an USB adapter and load to another computer. This is a newer hard drive (6 months old). Computer is 5 years old.
Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Well I don't think it is the screen as I ran diagnostics and it showed just fine on the screen.

Ok this is what i was asking if anything was showing and you said it just sits there.
Let's try some other tests to see if we can narrow this down.
When the system boots up from your statement you are getting post screens. Black background with white lettering correct?
What is the last screen that actually shows up?
Does it get to the point of loading login screen for OS or even loading OS at all?
Try to bootup and at the second post screen tap the F8 button or it could be F11 or F12 on your system to get to the Advance Boot Menu
Scroll down to Last Known Good Configuration That Worked and then click Enter. If still no joy then repeat and this time highlight Safe Mode and then click Enter.... Still no joy?

trigirl

trigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So the Dell screen (blue comes up) first, then it shows in upper right corner the F2 or F12 as options. F2 is Setup, F12 is boot menu. I push F12, says preparing one time boot menu. I don't see in there under the categories where I put "last good known configuration". If you can guide me. I see the following:
Boot sequence of Internal HDD, CD/DVD, Cardbus Nic and Onboard Nic.. Then lower is shows BIOS setup and Diagnostics.

If you can let me know where I find this Last know config.. that would be great. Thanks for your continued help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Straight from Dell's site.
1. Turn on the computer
2. Immediately begin tapping the <F8> key.
3. Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the <Enter> key.

Repeat and you should find the other option for last known good configuration.

trigirl

trigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
F8 doesn't work. Tried that before.. simply goes to black screen with the flashing cursor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then we need to do some diagnostics. Let's start with the hard drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

Advertisements

trigirl

trigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am back. I got a USB adapter for the Hard Drive as I want to back up my files prior to doing anydiagnostics so that I don't lose my files. I back up via Carbonite (I have to call them to see how this works).

However, when I plug in the HD Adapter to another computer, it shows as F drive, I can't pull all the files out due to security. How can I pull all these files out and change security so that I can view them all? Do you know if I am going to be able to load this entire drive up to Carbonite with these issues? I tried to do share all files, but some files still won't share.

Not sure if it matters that this computer I am working off us uses Vista and the old HD was loaded with XP Profess.

Please provide your advice,

Thanks,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We can do a backup using the system itself and having you make a Linux Live cd. This boots into memory so the OS is not being activated at all.
This would not allow the issue to happen unless the hard drive itself is damaged in some way. Since you were able to access it using your method then that tells me the drive is good.
I think the problem is you are still depending on the OS to do the backup where Linux doesn't use your OS to get to the files.
It is up to you but i would suggest using Puppy Linux to do this. We use it all the time and has proven to work in cases like this. I can supply the instructions if you want to try this.

trigirl

trigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So you suggest not backing up to Carbonite? I have some of my files there, but I hadn't backed them up in a few months, since it sucked up all my power on my computer and really slowed the thing down. So I turned it off for a while and then of course this happens.

Let me reiterate, I can view all the files and folders on the drive (via the usb adapter) but some files I can't pull due to security. Will this Puppy Linux do this?

And will I use this Puppy Linux on my "broken" computer? Based on the fact that I can view all files on the HD, do you think it is a faulty computer? I am going to buy a new one now if that is the case. But my major concern is getting all my files off this HD. Especially the ones not backed up the last 2-3 months.

Thanks,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Data can be backed up. Programs cannot. If something happens then the programs would have to be reinstalled and then the Data would be copied back to where it needs to be. Programs can not be backed up because during installation the registry is modified for that program to work correctly. Simply backing up and copying back will not write th needed entries into the registry.
If you cna get to all the data files and backup with no problem using the method you have been using then yes. If not then you would have to put the hard drive back into the broken system and as long as it boots then puppy can run. Remember it doesn't use your OS and only loads into memory.

trigirl

trigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Gotcha..

Then once I get the files using Puppy.. should I be able to load that onto a new computer? Or do you recommend doing diagnostics prior to purchasing new?

Please provide instructions how to do Puppy Linux.

Also, any reason why I can't view some files (open them up) on the Hard Drive using this other computer? It would be nice to be able to use these files and get access to all of them. There are some that have permissions issues.

Thanks again for all your help!