Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Product Key

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I am currently installing windows xp pro sp2 with my friends product key and cd because my XP cd got scratched from the top logo part of it. So I was wondering if after I reinstall can I change the product key from which I installed with my sp1 product key, possibly with a product key changer? Also should I install sp3 before changing the product key or how should I go about this product key changing process.

Advertisements

CassimirEffected

CassimirEffected

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Look around your CPU/laptop, if you bought it pre-installed.

CPU: It should be inside/outside of your CPU. Look around, there are no specific spots where the sticker should be stuck, so it's quite disturbing to open a CPU and look for one, though you need it now.

Laptop: Look below it...

I am not experienced at helping w/pc probs its just that I had s similar situation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is illegal to use the same key code as what is installed on your friends system.
If this is a laptop look on the bottom for the key
If this is a desktop system it should be on one of the sides.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
My computer is a custom made so i bought new copy XP.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Si if you bought a new copy then why are you doing this?

I am currently installing windows xp pro sp2 with my friends product key and cd because my XP cd got scratched from the top logo part of it

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
What i ment to say was that because my pc is custome made, i had to buy a retail version of xp. I was responding that i did not have one of those stickers with the product key some where on my computer.

Edited by willmon2000, 06 January 2010 - 04:28 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I understand that but you cannot use your friends reg key. It is illegal and against Microsoft's EULA
It is also against our Terms Of Use
Where is the container that your XP came in?

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I have the pouch that the xp cd came in. The only reason i am doing this is because the top of the cd where the holographic part is got scratch. To the point where i can see my finger through the cd.

Edited by willmon2000, 06 January 2010 - 11:24 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If you purchased a copy of XP then you received a product key. If it was an OEM version you would have gotten a sticker that gets affixed to the computer. If it's a retail copy, the key is on the case the disk was shipped with. You can use his installation disk, provided it's the same installation type, but you have to use your key.

It is illegal to use his key.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
You know what guys.

I know what he is going through... It happens to me also... I build someones system open my brand new\shipped windows disk, and the COA is almost gone! but thankfully I have been able to still read the COA... But it is a common problem... I would contact Microsoft and inform them of your problem... But you should have done that immediately when you realized the problem... Untill you get this sorted out with them... You can't install windows...

Good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand the using of the friends cd and that is not the issue.