Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVI & Sound

• Please log in to reply

szyska

szyska

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi-

I'm trying to hook up my PC (Dell Inspiron 530, Dual Core, 4 gigs, NVida 9600 Graphics card with 2 DVI out puts, High Def Audio Card) to a a Dynex 26" flat screen. The TV manual says when hooking up a DVI device use a DVI to HDMI cable (I have and the picture looks fine) and to use an audio cable from the device to the audio jack on the VGA port. I get nothing, no sound, nadda.

I have an older Dell Dimension 2400 with a Pentium 4. 2 gigs and XP Pro using a VGA monitor and it hooks up fine, sound and all, all on the VGA port.

I'm thinking I should get a new TV, it seems like it can't put two and two together for the audio & video.

Advertisements

mobobeep

mobobeep

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't think VGA can handle sound.

szyska

szyska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's not the VGA port, there is an audio jack next to the VGA port where the TV manual tells you to plug in for sound when using a DVI device.

mobobeep

mobobeep

• Pip
  • 7 posts

It's not the VGA port, there is an audio jack next to the VGA port where the TV manual tells you to plug in for sound when using a DVI device.

when you have everything plugged in, change the channel to the DVI input instead of VGA to see if there is sound on that one, maybe its just meant for the DVI channel.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I assume you'r sound works on the computer when not connected to the TV.
I don't know the model of the audio card but after you connect it to the tv do you get a message that a new audio device is connected?
Did you try and change what device was connected to the sound card?
Try and connect it to the line out and see what you get.
In the tv menu what options do you get in the audio section?

szyska

szyska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

when you have everything plugged in, change the channel to the DVI input instead of VGA to see if there is sound on that one, maybe its just meant for the DVI channel.

There is sound coming from the computer; speakers, head phones and other devices get sound from the it. The way the TV is set up, there are 2 HDMI ports, 2 component ports, 1 for cable and 1 for VGA and an audio jack. There is no DVI port, only HDMI. And since HDMI usually carries both sound and picture, it needs audio from some place else since the video feed is coming from a video card. The manual tells me to use the audio jack on the VGA connection, but again, this does nothing.

szyska

szyska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I assume you'r sound works on the computer when not connected to the TV.
I don't know the model of the audio card but after you connect it to the tv do you get a message that a new audio device is connected?
Did you try and change what device was connected to the sound card?
Try and connect it to the line out and see what you get.
In the tv menu what options do you get in the audio section?

The sound works with speakers, head phones... etc.
The audio card is a RealTek and I get no message that I'm aware of. I don't get a message when changing speakers, head phones either tho.
I tried multiple devices, speakers, other TVs and they all got sound.
I tried all the audio out puts on the computer, speakes, line out and the head phone jack, nothing.
On the TV menu, there is not much that can be done. I've hooked this computer up to other flat screen TVs with no problems. I was able to tell the TV to look at the HDMI port for video and AV1... etc for audio. I get no such options on this TV. It is a cheapo Dynex.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Next to the clock is the RealTek control settings?
If so there may be a setting that works.
Did you try the cable you connect from the computer to the TV on something else. Is the cable working correctly?
What is the model of the audio card.

szyska

szyska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Next to the clock is the RealTek control settings?
If so there may be a setting that works.
Did you try the cable you connect from the computer to the TV on something else. Is the cable working correctly?
What is the model of the audio card.

Tried all that, monkeyed around with all the settings, I can enable and disable audio devices, head phones, speaker... etc. Test for tone and change the system sounds. The computer acknowledged that speakers were pluged in when attached to the TV.

And it is a RealTek sound card. As listed above, I've gotten it to work on other flat panel TVs.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You may want to buy a cable that connects from the computer to the speakers. It is a small PL to RCA cable. This would take the sound from the computer and send it through the audio where the video or dvd are connected to the tv.
Here are two links to the kind of cable I am talking about if you want to try and purchase one. This should work.
link 1
link 2

Advertisements

szyska

szyska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You may want to buy a cable that connects from the computer to the speakers. It is a small PL to RCA cable. This would take the sound from the computer and send it through the audio where the video or dvd are connected to the tv.
Here are two links to the kind of cable I am talking about if you want to try and purchase one. This should work.
link 1
link 2

I have that kind of cable and tried in all of the white and red AV ports on the TV. The only time the computer acknowledged having speakers hooked was when I used a single audio cable like this.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Here is a link to a manual
look at page 7 you need to connect the speakers to #4 or 6
You will probably need to change the settings I would say try the sound and if not you may want to play around in video settings.

szyska

szyska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Here is a link to a manual
look at page 7 you need to connect the speakers to #4 or 6
You will probably need to change the settings I would say try the sound and if not you may want to play around in video settings.

I have a different model, it's # DX-L26-10A. The manual on page 12 lists how to attach a DVI device which is my senario. I have the DVI to HDMI cable and get a good picture. It says to get sound use the audio jack next to the VGA port. I tried that and using that connection was the only time the computer acknowledged having speakers hooked up. I tried using a splitter as listed above but none of the component hook ups gave sound/computer did not acknowlege as speakers.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Look at page 7
now there are few ways to connect audio input signals.
Try the two right connection on number 5 or 6.
You may need to change the where you connect it to the sound card of the computer, try and play around with connections in the back.
I don't think the computer will know that the RCA cable was connected. (It is the way it works)
If no sound then maybe you can check if you connect it to for example to 5 if you set the tv to the AV1 as shown on page 14.

szyska

szyska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Look at page 7
now there are few ways to connect audio input signals.
Try the two right connection on number 5 or 6.
You may need to change the where you connect it to the sound card of the computer, try and play around with connections in the back.
I don't think the computer will know that the RCA cable was connected. (It is the way it works)
If no sound then maybe you can check if you connect it to for example to 5 if you set the tv to the AV1 as shown on page 14.

I'll try it, I have a friend coming over who does this stuff for a living. If I can't get it to work, I'll return the TV and try another brand.