Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVI & Sound

• Please log in to reply

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Good luck and let us know what happens

Advertisements

szyska

szyska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok kiddies, sit down this is a three beer story.

So as said above I can't get sound my LCD TV from my 'puter. I have a friend come over who does AV for the local community access channel, she should know more about audio equipment than me since she works with it all day. She takes a look at TV, we tried all the inputs, futz around with all the menu settings and came to the conclusion that more gear is needed.

Through trial and error we discovered that I could get sound from a VGA and audio jack connected computer but not from a DVI to HDMI and audio jack connected computer. I could get sound to other sources, head phones and speakers. Now the speakers I use on my 'puter are probably better than on the TV (have a sub-woofer... etc. WoW sound really good in surround sound.) But it was on principle that the TV manual said I could do this, I couldn't and I don't like being lied to. We used a splitter cable with the red and white connections as mentioned above with no results, the computer did not acknowledge speakers when these cables were being used. When we used the audio cable, the computer acknowledged speakers but there was no sound.

Now had this been during normal working hours or if my friend had been on speaking terms with her boss, we could have taken the TV to the studio and tried a few more tests on it. In the interest of time, I had 14 days to return the TV, I decided to return it and try again with a slightly different model. A word to the wise, Geek Squad will try to sell a protection plan on anything. After going through GS, I got a refund.

New TV is a Samsung, about $40 more but the same size screen. I get the thing home and crack it open and what to my wondering eyes appear but all the cables necessary to hook up a VGA or a DVI computer to the TV. Let me say that again, I got a VGA, DVI, audio cable and component cables. When does this happen? I thought they made you buy the cables separate.

So we set the TV up, plug in the cable, let it run through the initial set up... etc. Then we hooked up the 'puter. Almost the same thing as before, a DVI and single audio cable. I fired up the PC and got the Window's sound. I launched WoW and got the into music. It worked as it should.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I am glad to see that you can now hear how you wish. :)
It has been happening over the pat few years that you only get some of the needed cables. I found it first with HP that you buy a printer but there is no cable to connect it to the computer. :)
At least some company's try to serve the customers.

Thanx for the update. :)