Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of changing from Kaspersky to free antivirus

• Please log in to reply

swr_e007

swr_e007

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I have an AMD machine with Windows XP home.

In the past I have used McCaffe - which I found troublesome, lots of locks ups and complaints from the software.

I replaced this with Norton Anti-virus. No problems with the application running, but it hamstrung the performance of the PC by a very noticeable degree.

Currently I have Kaspersky 7. This seems to have been more reliable than McCaffe and less resource hungry than Norton.

But... a few months back I got a tojan infection which Kaspersky was no help with at all. It didn't see it, it didn't stop it, it couldn't find it and it couldn't fix it.

I had to visit here and got excellent help to remove the infection in the malware removal forum.

Today I got the 'Kaspersky is about to expire' message. On visiting there site it appears I basically need to buy the latest software ($$$!) and I get a small discount as a current user. It seems that shopping around some dealers can match or better this discount, so not much incentive.

I realise that no virus software can be 100% with a new virus, but I've spent a lot of money over the last few years and still succumbed to a nasty trojan - are the bought virus checkers really any better than the free ones? Enough to justify the cash? If so, any idea which to go for? (free or chargeable?)

Since this forum got me out of a big mess recently I would welcome your advice, please.

Edited by swr_e007, 06 January 2010 - 01:48 AM.

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey swr_e007. :)

I would recommend going HERE!

This article will go through some free av programs, which will hopefully help you make a decision. :)

Edited by Robin Hood, 17 January 2010 - 04:00 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avast in my opinion is better because:
It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 January 2010 - 08:45 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
And to add to Ron's comment Avast are about to release version 5. I have been running it in beta now for a few months, and it is lighter and faster than the 4.8 version plus the registration has been simplified . They have also added a behaviour shield which looks for suspect behaviour when a programme runs, found nothing on my system yet :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully us with 4.8 will get the upgrade automatically. I am very impressed with their program and I have been infection free since you suggested it almost a year ago.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Notification will be released by the usual green popup but my current understanding is that the 4.8 version will need to be uninstalled first due to the changed architecture - but they are working on getting the new version to do all that for you :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you want to play with the Beta Ron ? It is very stable

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sure I can load it on my XP and Win 7 partitions and see how it goes.

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 January 2010 - 10:30 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Here you go Ron

Avast Free 5

Registration now is just a matter of filling in a small form on the GUI interface and you are registered - enjoy

You will need to uninstall 4.8 first as they have not yet finished the auto-removal sequence

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you going to do that now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure what is going on but Avast won't start. I keep clicking on Start or Fix and it does not start. What am I doing wrong as it installed with no problem after I uninstalled 4.8

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Did you reboot after install ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes still no luck. Maybe uninstall ti and reinstall ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Aye the first one with a problem I have come across - is this the 7 or XP system ?

Before you re-install run AswClear this will remove all traces of Avast