Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of changing from Kaspersky to free antivirus

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Win 7.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Spooky I have it on 7 now did you run aswclear ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep ran the clear program and reinstalled and now everything back up and running with the new one. Seems the uninstall didn't get rid of some files.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is the one problem area they are working on - it appears to affect one system in about a thousand - as of yet they can't figure out why

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh boy i was the one thousandth system... O

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lucky you :)

And it ranges from xp to 7

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Wow this topic got off track :) I am also running the avast! 5 beta, been running it for maybe a month? Its quite good in my opinion :)

But anyways, to answer the OP's question,

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by modifying your HOSTS file and tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually it didn't get off track. Avast released a new version for beta testing.
Op wanted to know about what AV to get. Posts @ 2, 3 and 4 were all suggestions. The rest was also informative as the Op now can download a newer version and have it with better interface and support.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
:) As Ron said the question was answered and then sort of meandered - but all good info

Childish - but fun :)

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Do we know when avast! v5 will be released? I am anxiously awaiting it.
I have been so impressed; I want the paid-for version, with firewall.

To the OP, I have been using avast since last October (formerly AVG)...
I am well pleased with the program. Not a hitch. Easy to use. I luv it!
Some folks apparently don't like the media-player like interface; I do.
I believe that version 5 will have an interface that is more 'standard'.
I hope the new version will have a skin option to mimic the 4.8 version.
If the interface is an issue for you, I'd suggest Avira, for now anyhow.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Screenshots of the free AV and the AIS (which I am using ) The AIS is not yet of a standard for release but the free and pro versions of the AV are just about ready

[attachment=38034:Capture.PNG]

[attachment=38035:Capture1.PNG]

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
to the OP: I was initially considering avast! or G-Data, based on this...

http://www.av-compar...vc_report23.pdf (August 2009)

I went with avast! because I liked the interface, the forums, and the folks
that make it happen, and of course, all the recommendations from tech-heads.

I didn't find any recommendations for G-Data from the geek forums I browsed.
Perhaps they don't have a free version aside from their short-term trial.
However, I just want to point out that G-Data did very well in this...

http://www.av-compar...vc_report24.pdf (November 2009)

Avira did very well too, but notice the false positive rating was also high.

When looking at these documents, you may reconsider staying with Kaspersky?

The one thing I don't see reviewed in these documents is how each company
extends itself to fixing/making things right (customer service/tech-help).

I really like the avast! forums, their customer service email was acceptable,
their response to a mishap was prompt and honourable. That means a lot to me.
I want to work with a company that respects subscribers the way avast! does.

Best wishes in your AV-hunt. May your computer run smooth and shiny always.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
I would also recommend Avira.

Not only is it light on system resources and easy to use, but it is also a very thorough file scanner. I have found it an absolute delight to use and suggest you include it in your possible AV programs. :)

swr_e007

swr_e007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the answers and advice.

I've gone for:
avast! (4.8)
comodo firewall
SuperAntiSpyware

Based on the advice in the suggested post.

I already have Scotty and Secunia PSI running as recommended when I had help to clean out my malware infection.

I do have a few questions, though. The article gives advice on what programs to choose, but not much advice on how to best use them.

avast! I presume just sits there, updates itself and gets on with it's job - but not sure if I ought to also be scheduling some regular scans to run manually or something?
I have a none standard email client (Pocomail) - will this be protected too? The program lists outlook specifically in the 'resident protection' list.
So far it seems to be an improvement on Kaspersky in the sense that it's updates are little and often and they complete very quickly. Kaspersky would usually slow the whole system right down for 10 minutes after the PC was booted...

Comodo also seems more user friendly and less 'naggy' than Kaspersky - it suggests a course of action whereas Kaspersky left you to work out what to do, so I like it already.
Strange thing was, though, when I installed it, it complained that I had already got McCaffe firewall installed. Since McCaffe (3 years ago?) I have used Norton and Kaspersky, so as far as I knew McCaffe was long ago un-installed. I can find no McCaffe progs in the control panel to uninstall - or in the program list, but there is still a McCaffe folder in Windows>programs. Maybe that is what it saw?

SuperAntiSpyware - I presume that since the free version contains neither scheduling or real time scanning that this needs to be periodically run manually. When would you guys do this? Daily? Weekly? When you suspect you have a problem? At the moment they have a special offer to upgrade to the 'pro' version for $9.99. Do you reckon this is worthwhile?

Just not sure what is the best way to use the tools I've got installed.

Finally, is this enough? Have I got everything I need?

Sorry for all the questions,

Thanks for the help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

avast! I presume just sits there, updates itself and gets on with it's job - but not sure if I ought to also be scheduling some regular scans to run manually or something?

I believe you can schedule scans if you would like.

Comodo also seems more user friendly and less 'naggy' than Kaspersky

If you are using the AV in comdo then you need to decide if you want to keep Avast. Running two AV's at the same time can cause false positive alerts.

SuperAntiSpyware - I presume that since the free version contains neither scheduling or real time scanning that this needs to be periodically run manually.

I run mine once a week and I don't download anything.