Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of changing from Kaspersky to free antivirus

• Please log in to reply

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You can schedule scans with Avast free but it is a bit cumbersome. However, you can set Avast to scan as a screensaver and it will pickup where it left off last time. That is the method I use, prior to the beta I was using Pro which had a scheduled scan facility but I never used it as I found the screensaver scan was fine. To do this select your screensaver in windows to Avast and under settings select the display you wish to use OK out and it is done. Next time the screensaver starts Avast will commence scanning

Almost all POP e-mail is protected by Avast - but if it isn't someone on the Avast forum who uses that client will tell you how to adjust the ini file to let it scan

A once a week scan with the free SAS should suffice.

Advertisements

swr_e007

swr_e007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I have installed the comodo firewall by itself without the virus protection. It seems to be working well.

On the whole I am very pleased with it all... the PC boots much faster than before and it is useable much sooner after booting (Kaspersky would hog the thing for 10 minutes to update after every boot) and I prefer the firewall...

Just need to feel confident it is doing what it is suppossed to do. Yesterday I got a string of bogus 'UPS courier' emails full of trojans which AVAST! nailed, so I now know it is trapping garbage in my emails, so it all looks good,

I like the screensaver idea - I'll look into that.

Thanks for the advice.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Avast 5 is finally released! :) You can download it from here if your version didn't automatically update to version 5.