Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

How to save Yahoo emails to external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

struggling artist

struggling artist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Guys,
I wonder if you can help? I want to save all the old Yahoo emails which I want to keep, to an external hard drive. The emails are in different folders on my Yahoo page. I have tried dragging and dropping, copy and pasting, etc but they don't work - all that happens is a shortcut appears - a link back to the web page. My pc is about to go in for repairs and I'm trying to back up all my data, so I'd really appreciate knowing a way I can do this. I would also really like to be able to copy just the folders rather than individual files as there are a LOT of them!!
Hope you can help!
Many thanks.

Edited by struggling artist, 06 January 2010 - 07:05 AM.

Advertisement

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
All your emails and folders are backed up on the Yahoo server- are you trying to archive them to your old computer, and why? They will be there when you log into Yahoo with your new one.
Johanna

struggling artist

struggling artist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Johanna,
I am trying to back-up all of my important data - and this includes some email folders. It is precautionary, in case of problems/crashes etc, just as any back-up is. There could be problems with the Yahoo server too - who knows?! As I said, I want to back-up to my external hard drive. Any info on how to do this gratefuly received!

Edited by struggling artist, 06 January 2010 - 08:55 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I am trying to back-up all of my important data - and this includes some email folders. It is precautionary, in case of problems/crashes etc, just as any back-up is. There could be problems with the Yahoo server too - who knows?! As I said, I want to back-up to my external hard drive. Any info on how to do this gratefuly received!

You don't.
All the email is kept at Yahoo's end. You don't (and you can't anyway) back Yahoo mails up to your drive in the way that you want.
You can print them out and archive them that way, or save the contents of the mail (copy and paste) but a web-based email you can't save the mails themselves.

As for "problems with the Yahoo server", Yahoo have been around since 1995, with Yahoo Mail having been around in various guises since 1996, so I very much doubt it's going anywhere soon.

freyajordan

freyajordan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

To export Yahoo email to external hard drive with the help of third party tool like Yahoo backup tool.
It will helps you to save Yahoo email to Outlook PST, EML, MBOX or MSG file format on local hard drive

Source: http://backupyahooem...e.yolasite.com/

Advertisement