Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinZip -- Do they need the money?

• Please log in to reply

Tech Guy #1

Tech Guy #1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm considering breaking down and finally registering for WinZip after years of finding ways out of it and continuing to use it for free. I'm wondering what their financial situation is... anyone have access to that information? If they could use the money, I might actually register for once. If not, I'll keep doing what I've always done. All I need is to figure out whether I'm not wasting my money by registering for this thing when they have plenty of their own.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If we all had that attitude, I guess no software would ever get developed, no tools would be written, no music would be recorded, no movies filmed. If we don't pay the creators, how do we expect them to live to keep creating?

What does winzip do that Windows compressed folders won't?
Johanna

Tech Guy #1

Tech Guy #1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If we all had that attitude, I guess no software would ever get developed, no tools would be written, no music would be recorded, no movies filmed. If we don't pay the creators, how do we expect them to live to keep creating?

What does winzip do that Windows compressed folders won't?
Johanna

I'm willing to pay them if they haven't already been suitably reimbursed for their time, skills and effort. That's what I'm attempting to find out here.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I don't care if the creator of Irfanview lives in a hut or a castle- his program has saved me such much grief I happily send him money and hope he continues to work on his baby. Even if we had the creator of WinZip's tax return, who are we to say whether he has "enough"? If you like the product, use the product (sounds like you have been circumventing paying for it for awhile) and want to feel good about rewarding someone who has worked hard, send them some money. I still want to know what WinZip does that Windows won't, though. I've used WinZip years ago, but haven't needed it for a long time. Am I missing something? WinRar is cool- it lets you look in zipped folders before you extract them like Vista does.
Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
winzip is "free" to use for the duration of it's existance...however the creator ASKS that you register and donate to keep the product "free" for those who can't afford to pay for it...if you feel like paying for the full version..then do it, but don't ask anyone to tell you if the guy "has enough money" or not. that's like asking if the salvation army has gotten "enough" donations this year...it's stupid and shows a bit of arrogance on your part

windows XP has BUILT in archive support, if you're worried about giving some dude/company money because you think they've made too much already, then just uses what's built in to your OS

Tech Guy #1

Tech Guy #1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I don't care if the creator of Irfanview lives in a hut or a castle- his program has saved me such much grief I happily send him money and hope he continues to work on his baby.

That's your prerogative. Mine is to allocate my resources based on need. If a software creator lives in a castle, he's obviously more well off than me -- I need my money more than he does. If necessary, I'll find a different software program if my conscience ever bothers me enough to not want to find an end run around registration.

On another note, I have a few questions about ImToo and Nero. Anyone who knows much about the companies/individuals that produce both of those wares, please send me a PM.

Tech Guy #1

Tech Guy #1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

windows XP has BUILT in archive support, if you're worried about giving some dude/company money because you think they've made too much already, then just uses what's built in to your OS

Unfortunately, I have Vista.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Vista internal compression software.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
7-Zip FTW!!

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
+1 for 7Zip

numbaaa

numbaaa

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
+10 for WinZip

Edited by sari, 28 January 2010 - 07:55 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:)