Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help bring computer up to speed

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is my protection programs and it has proved to work for a year now.
Avast for my av
SuperAntSpyware for spyware
Malwarebytes for other malware
Windows Firewall for hacking protection

Now you can keep Spybot Search and Destroy if you are happy with that and add SuperAntiSpyware for added protection.
Remove Ad-Aware and replace it with Malwarebytes
Make sure you have Windows Firewall or something like Comodo Firewall running.
Warning with Comodo it has AV protection also but do not use it as having two AV running in Real Time can cause false positive reports and serious slowdown on the system. This would go against everything we are trying to accomplish here. :)
I suggest uninstalling Ad-Aware then trying the system to see if it boots correctly like you want. If so then I will send the links for the other programs to replace with. Please do not go to any sites or download anything other then what I give you to prevent any type of infection. :) :)

Advertisements

Markleez

Markleez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Uninstalling Ad-Aware seems to have done the trick. Firefox loads much faster after a reboot than it used to- the system appeared to be up and running within a minute. If you could provide links to all of that software, I'll definitely put it onto my parents' system to keep it running well.

Also, what would you suggest so far as far as a RAM upgrade goes? While these solutions have definitely lifted the computer's speed somewhat, I think my parents would like just a little more ease of use.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:
It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

Download Malwarebyte's from my signature below

Download SupeerAntiSpyware from my signature below

Comodo also in my signature below. Make sure your Windows firewall is not activated if you go with Comodo. Two firewalls will cause some serious internet surfing issues.