Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to update Windows service pack 3 and other problems

• Please log in to reply

infernoboy93

infernoboy93

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I believe I have several problems going on. First I can't update Windows XP it keeps failing. Second it takes several seconds to just turn on the computer and get to Windows. I also get a countdown and have to choose what drive I want. This all started when I felt I needed to repair Windows and used my cd that was provided when I bought my computer. I also had problems with that process, where it said it could not load certain files. Last but not least I feel my computer is running slower than what it had been.

Advertisements

eherr9633

eherr9633

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Welcome to G2G!!!!!!

It seems like you would first benefit from visiting the Malware Forums. Even though it seems like its an Operating System or Software problem, it has a good chance of being a malware issue or related to malware in some way.

Furthermore, malware might be in the shadows lurking and if any changes are made to your computer, it might strike at any moment if it sees a vulnerability. So please begin HERE. Don't forget to add a link to the malware thread so the malware staff can follow up on steps you have already taken.

When you complete the malware part and your computer is officially clean, come back to this thread if you are still experiencing the issues. At this time I would recommend running a chkdsk /r.

To do this:
  • Boot your computer from your Windows Installation CD
  • Select 'R' for Recovery Console
  • You will be asked which partition you want to enter. Most likely will be C: and choice 1
  • You will be asked for an administrator password. Leave blank if you dont have one
  • type in chkdsk /r and let it run to completion. This will usually take an hour or more. Do not interrupt this process or serious damage can be done to your machine.
  • After it's done restart the machine normally.

Another way is to do this from run command:
to do this:
  • Click on Start
  • type in chkdsk /f
  • hit enter

This will most likely run on next boot up so reboot if it does not do it automatically.

After this, come back here and update us on where you stand.