Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay - I'll stay shy of trying any BIOS updating... Anything else I should look to execute before re-installing stuff?

I plan to merge a Windows XP cd with SP3 to have a single XP SP3 install-cd. Then format the lot and install Windows, setting up the partitions and then install Linux and go through the GRUB.

How and when is the partioning handled best?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Best to set the partition up when you are installing Windows. Take a look at this tutorial.
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh.

Are you talking about slip streaming XP3 and do you have the instructions for doing that?
Follow these directions on How To Create A Slipstream Disk

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thanks for the links.

I will try and make on of the slipstreamed XP install cd's as going online for update without SP3 is a no go considering the leaking security as well as the time it will take... The link is for SP2 - Guess it's the same though. Though I found this link about SP3 as well - HERE

Is there a way/program to locate and notify about un-udated software and drivers? Would be handy when things are up and running.

Edited by oviedo7, 26 January 2010 - 04:59 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The best way to do that is to actually go to the manufacturer of the hardware and check their site for updates to the drivers.
There are programs like Driver Detective that will look for driver updates. The issue is most of them you have to pay for and honestly i have yet to see one that actually works right.
Yes the steps should be the same for SP3.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I'll just do some scouting aroung once things are up and runnig to see if there are ny updates worth getting a hold of.

I found another link about slipstreaming, using a program called nLite - the guide looks easy and fool-proof, so I think I'll go with that...

Then format and reinsall windows, and then putting Linux on one of the partitions.

Can partitions be re-sized once we're up and running or would that call for some formatting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Linux partitions can be resized but it is a pain to do. Windows is easier but unless you are careful you could mess windows up.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Linux partitions can be resized but it is a pain to do. Windows is easier but unless you are careful you could mess windows up.

If down the line I get to like, and need more space for, Linux I can always start fresh and give it some more space then...

Actually - before I start to make a xp sp3 cd I was wondering which Xp cd I should/could use? I have a xp cd from the Compaq as well as one from the Medion.

Thing is that I've sometimes seen manufacturers like Compaq and Acer etc. fill all kind of extra programs and whatnot on the computers when you get them from the factory - and I suspect all these extra things might be included on the install disc.

I would very much like a "clean" windows install without all the extra manufacturer stuff. I can't remember much extra "fancy" stuff on the Medion - so I thought it would be better using that? But do you think I would end up needing some drivers for the Compaq if I don't use their "Compaq Operating System CD"?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Actually - before I start to make a xp sp3 cd I was wondering which Xp cd I should/could use? I have a xp cd from the Compaq as well as one from the Medion.

The question really is are you using this for one of those systems or for a custom built system. The reason is because the Compaq disk will load drivers for the compaq so it won't work on the Medion system and vice versa.

Thing is that I've sometimes seen manufacturers like Compaq and Acer etc. fill all kind of extra programs and whatnot on the computers when you get them from the factory - and I suspect all these extra things might be included on the install disc.

Yep goes along with what I said above.

Yes if you use the Medion then it will load the drivers for that system. I personally wouldn't do either because it is first and foremost it is illegal to do since they are two entirely different manufacturers. Second for the reason I mentioned it would be a pain to try and take out the extra's out of the OS.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

The question really is are you using this for one of those systems or for a custom built system. The reason is because the Compaq disk will load drivers for the compaq so it won't work on the Medion system and vice versa

Well besides adding an extra HDD and replacing the RAM it's still very much the Compaq system as it was back in the days. Thus using the Medion CD would probably be a pain, and some stuff might not work right. Didn't know it was illegal though - as the Medion is pretty much dead - but guess they won't like me using on other makes.

I personally wouldn't do either because it is first and foremost it is illegal to do since they are two entirely different manufacturers. Second for the reason I mentioned it would be a pain to try and take out the extra's out of the OS.

Wouldn't you install the Compaq on the system?

Maybe I can slim Windows a bit down after installation. But the computer might end up needing all the "useless" stuff anyway...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Compaq recovery cd yes on the compaq but not on the medion.
Also was just given this link to Medion's systems HERE and since they are sold more in the European countries it might help you in the future.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Alright I'll go with that! :)

Thanks for the link - Could be useful indeed...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Btw I'm not sure where you are from but going on your local time I would say somewhere in the UK. If that being so have you checked out XP or Vista from some of the stores there like Aldi?
I know they run about 30 to 50 Quid there.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I plugged the RAM stick in, worked like a charm, system started counting memory... THEN! It says that unsupported memory is present, saying it only supports 512mb in each socket! :) Which comes to a surprise since a lot of online places - not only Crucial - states 1gig as supported and offers it as well for the model - Compaq Presario 6182EA.

I might have to shop for 2 512mbs then... :)

I'm in Denmark, and here anything Windows has a remarkable habit of maintaining a high price. XP goes for about $130-170 still. Actually this price is seen a lot of places in europe.

Edited by oviedo7, 28 January 2010 - 10:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Aldi stores seem to sell XP for about 50

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Pretty sweet if it has SP3... Actually I'v just slipstreamed an install disc. Haven't tried it yet though...

About the RAM, could it be that it won't support PC2700?