Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Alright - also for the extra harddrive with no OS?

I've just erased all partitions on both drives now. The main drive is a 80gb - or so they say :), yet now when making the partioning before installing windows I have 76309 MB... Initially I was thinking splitting it 55-25, yet now it should probably be 50-26,309 or so? Or should I divide it a bit different?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can have it as you stated at 50\26 and that will give each OS enough.
The drive will never show as 80 gigs because of the way size is equated.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Alright then, I'll split it 50 for Windows and 26,309 free for a later Linux installation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Now things are happening... :)

I've made the partitions, and selected the one for Windows, which is now being formatted.

How about the other partitions? I deleted every one of them and made some all new. Will they need formatting? Or has that already been done with the erase partiton/creat partition phase?

BTW - Thanks a lot for your continuous help. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If all you have done is delete the partition and redo it then you may have to format them. Just remember not to do the Linux one because it will do it's own. Linux doesn't use Fat or NTFS for its file system type.

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 January 2010 - 04:24 PM.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Should I have done otherwise? I could go back and change things around?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No once windows is installed and all running then you can do the other hd from within it. First lets work on getting windows reinstalled.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Xp is installed. I'm in the process of finding and installing the lot of drivers and programs on another computer to install.

An annoying issue with the Compaq, something that has "survived" still after the format is that my usb mouse has to be unplugged and then replugged to work, when the computer is started. Is there anything I should look at to fix this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the model of the compaq?
I can find all the original drivers for it.
The USB mouse may be a setting in the bios that allows it to auto support the USB mouse and kb.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
It's been a pain finding the drivers - with the age of the Compaq - which is a Presario 6182EA - drivers and info is quite obscure...

Some shooting the dark found me the driver for the Ethernet Controller though. I might go round the BIOS at some point to enable the computer to recognize the mouse by itself at every start.

I have all the security programs installed now - shouls I use Erunt - or some other - to make a backup now - or perhaps wait until all programs are installed? I know it might be down to personal preference, but is there any advise for when to make backups of a fresh XP?

Sorry for ALL the questions....! :) :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Erunt only backs up the registry and nothing else.
I would suggest putting all the drivers you download into a folder named Drivers and once you have them all then burn it to a cd for future reference just in case. The other option is seeing if Compaq may have the recovery cd or drivers cd for it.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Good idea about the drivers - that is noted! :)

Now I have the sufficeint driver to access the internet - I think - and from there I can try and let Windows or another 3rd party program look for the drivers.

With the backups I also considered using DriveImage found HERE, maybe I'll try that...

However I've never really used backups like that. Well I backup images and document and my ripped cd's, but to do this I've been putting them on other partitions than the Windows one, as well as using flash drives and cd's.

I see another reason not to backup my system with all the programs as in some time many of the programs are outdated anyway. I've only been forced to reinstall windows 2-4 times - this time included - and in my experience it doesn't take that long time to get about finding your programs again - in an updated state. Still, of course it is somewhat of an inconvenience... The drivers - especially for older systems is the real pain.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
So... Finally pretty much everything is installed. I still need a couple of drivers - but they should be attainable when I let the computer loose on the Internet...

How would I make the other partitions ready?

Anything other I might be forgetting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply and then I can instruct you on how to do the next steps for the partitions.