Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Here's the screenshot...scrnsht.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK in compmgmt.msc where you got the pic.
Right click on the E drive and then click on Format
Now it will ask you if you want to use NTFS and tell it OK.
Do a full format using NTFS and when done repeat for the F drive. Not sure why there is a small 4 gig partition there but if you don't want it there let me know and I can explain how to stretch the E all the way out.
When done the only partition that shouldn't be formatted is the D drive and once you load Linux it will do that.
All you will have to do is tell it to install on the free space on the D drive or it will try to install on the C drive.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
My plan for the small 4gig partition was to use it as some kind of "sandbox" to download stuff into and then scan it over before unleashing whatever program or application I downloaded on the system...

Stupid idea?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope actually pretty smart.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

When done the only partition that shouldn't be formatted is the D drive and once you load Linux it will do that.

The 2 drives are formatting now. Now I only need the last drivers as well as finding the Linux to try out. I might try a couple of Live Cd's to see which one I like to install.

I guess it's possible however to format whatever Linux I decide to install, and install another if I fell like it down the line...?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah linux comes in many flavors but the nice thing is they are all free with the exception of Redhat.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Yeah linux comes in many flavors but the nice thing is they are all free with the exception of Redhat.

I really wasn't aware that there existed so many different kinds. :)

The computer is pretty much up and running now. A couple of the drivers did and do annoy a bit. The ethernet-controller driver is seemingly gone... But I don't know in which circumstances it is needed?

My soundcard was hard to find a driver for as well. I tried the Compaq discs a bunch of times to no avail, until suddently it did find the driver on one of the cds. Yet sometimes the sound is corrupted - very bad and very "light" or so. At first it seemed it was the case when coming back from standby mode, but today it acted up after a normal start. Maybe an update could put things in order.

Else it's working, yet a lot of the stuff normally on the Compaq discs haven't been installed - don't know why - but much of it I don't miss.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ethernet controller is what is used when you use dsl, cable or satellite broadband internet.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
When I go and look upon the drivers in Windows it keeps a yellow exclamation mark over the ethernet controller. But I haven't been able to find a suitable driver. I did find one for the modem and internet is working fine...

The Soundcard is nagging me. As I said it sometimes acted up, but a restart was enough to bring it back in order. That's not the case now. After a couple of fresh starts it is okay again. I can't say this specific computer has been easy finding drivers for. Any suggestions as to how to find these drivers?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would be happy to help but can you give me the model of the system again. I don't even know where to look in the 14 pages where you may have told me already. I would be happy to try and find drivers for you then.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yes, most certainly - it's a Compaq Presario 6182EA. I've found it quite the task to find info and so about this specific model.

In the control panel under Sound it seems as if my soundcard is a SoundMax integrated digital audio. Yet through Everest it seems to be nVIDIA nForce MCP Audio Codec Interface.

Thanks in advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can't guarantee anything but try HERE

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thanks for the link.

However I can't seem to find anything that solves the sound problem. After 3 restarts now the sound is still really bad - too "fast", too "light"...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This one is a reall pain to find anything for.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

This one is a reall pain to find anything for.

You are so very right about that one. Information and drivers are really scarce.

Anyway, I closed the computer down completely 2 times now and after the second time sound is working fine...? I'm quite puzzled about that behavior.

Anything else is working fine - also internet and lan-network.

But the sound... *sigh* :) :)