Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep Linux is faster. I have been using it now for about 6 months i believe. Other then games it can do everything windows does.
Now the way you can get to use both is to create a partition on your hard drive and run Windows on one and Linux on the other.
I actually have 3 partitions on my main hard drive.
XP Pro 64 bit
Win 7 pro 64 bit
Linux Mandriva 2010 64 bit.
I just choose to use Linux more then the other two and enjoy it a lot.

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 March 2010 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Even with an older computer like this Linux it really swift... I've been much impressed.

I have a partition ready, and now I just have to make up my mind about which Linux to install. Right now I might be leaning towards OpenSUSE, but I've tried quite a few good ones...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah Linux has so many Distros as they are called that it is a lot to try to decide which one to use. The nice thing is that most can be run from a Live CD like Puppy Linux so you can play with others even after installing one.
I tried Puppy, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLinux and Mandriva.
Finally settling on Mandriva.