Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you would be looking for.
DDR PC2700 1 gb module
I believe in order to get USB 2.0 you would have to do a BIOS flash but I don't know if there is a flash that would even give you that anyway.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
And that's the only spec I need to find matching RAM? I see various kind of "pin amounts"?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
well yes you will need to know it's 184 pin instead of 240 pin

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay... How about the MHz value? Can that vary or is is 333?

And it's DIMM interface?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I located all the memory here at Tigerdirect that would fit in your parameters.
It looks like in the 2700 series everything is 333 mhz.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thanks for the link. Yeah it does seem as if those 2 are connected...

Would these do the trick?
http://www.amazon.co...-...2256&sr=8-1
Great price and good reviews. Any take on Kingston?

http://www.amazon.co...3...-16&seller=

http://www.scan.co.u...PC2700-(333Mhz)
The 2 1gb's?

Well I believe all of these have the specs... Then it comes down to price, shipping, manufacturer and such...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes 2x1gb modules if that is what your system will accept.
I prefer in the following order
Corsair
OCZ
Crucial
Kingston

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah the Crucial scan says 2 GB is the maximum.

Is your preference list based on all the manufacturers or just of the ones from the links? Is Kingston bad? One of the physical shops around here deals with that stuff, so maybe they'll have something... Would avoid it if it's junk though?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My preferences is based on what I would buy if it were me . In all actuality i am going to build a new system atthe end of this month and I'm going to be using Corsair in it.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay, I'll take your list into consideration when looking for the RAM.

About the ventilation, I might wanna consider adding an extra on, or at least replace the old fan above the heatsink - is that possible? Taking it off could also help the cleaning of the heatsink in between it's lamellas. Could I take that fan of for cleaning? Would I need any paste or so to put it ack on?

The computer only has a fan above the heatsink and one inside the power supply. Beneath the PSU there is a vent with screwholes as well - How about adding a fan there to blow out some more hot air? I've heard having a fan on the bottom from of the case is a good idea? The computer as some airvents there - not really designed to have a fan it seems - some holes though...?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great questions as I like a owner who asks questions. :)

Yes in most cases it is possible to replace the fan and heatsink on the cpu. You will need to clean the old Thermal Paste from the cpu but be very careful doing this. Make sure the system is not only turned off but completely unplugged from power.
Once done with the cleaning then you will need to reapply a pea size amount of thermal paste on the cpu and spread it out before reseating a new Heatsink and Fan. this will make sure you have a good cooling contact on them.

Adding a extra fan is always a good ideal in helping with the air flow of the system. The one you are referencing is a exhaust fan. Wouldn't hurt to add that fan just to get the hot air out of the system. Since I don't know the make and model of your case I can't say for sure, but check the front of the case normally right in front of the hard drive bays. Normally there is a place to attach a intake fan there so that it pulls cool air into the case, over the hard drives and then eventually over the motherboard and cpu as it rises.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
That's great! I'll keep posting them then. :)

How risky is the process of cleaning/replacing the heatsink? I was considering just replacing the fan, but would that be useless if I keep the sink? What's the "fail-rate" on such and operation?

Well beneath the HDD's and the floppy drive there is a PCI-card, and under this some vents - vertical in the inside metal part of the case, and horizontal on the plastic-shield on the outside - It's that the place you are talking about? The couple of holes here doesn't seem to be "planned" for a fan as the ones on the back vent.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

How risky is the process of cleaning/replacing the heatsink? I was considering just replacing the fan, but would that be useless if I keep the sink? What's the "fail-rate" on such and operation?

If you follow my instructions you should have no problems. You can remover the cpu but be careful not to bend any pins. It is keyed so it will only fit back in the socket one way. You may get lucky and the cpu will be clean so no cleaning will be needed.

Well beneath the HDD's and the floppy drive there is a PCI-card, and under this some vents - vertical in the inside metal part of the case, and horizontal on the plastic-shield on the outside - It's that the place you are talking about? The couple of holes here doesn't seem to be "planned" for a fan as the ones on the back vent.

Is your case a tower or flat case?
Where I am describing would be between the Hard drives and the front of the case. Not below them.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
It's a tower like this...
Posted Image

What would I need for an operation like that? A new heatsink, thermal paste, a new fan? Could the heatsink be reused?

I would just be reluctant to make too many complicated things as - in the first place - I was just looking to add some RAM to prolong the life of the system... :)

But of course considering how dirty it was when I got it, some thourough cleaing might be okay... If not too risky!

Edited by oviedo7, 16 January 2010 - 11:45 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Cleaning is easy. A can of compressed air is your best friend. For the fins on a fan you can use a Q-tip to get between them.
To put a fan in the front of the case I described it is just buying a 140mm fan. Normally the front of the case will come off and the fan is mounted from the inside of the vase to bring air into the case.
The rear fan you described earlier below the PSU would also be a 140mm fan and both mount with screws.
Memory for the system you can find out what exactly it uses by using the Crucial Online Scanner
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.