Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I highly doubt a power Y will be able to reach both front and back.
If you don't have a free power connector you may have to get one of these HERE

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I do have a free connection coming from the PSU, both a 4 and 3-pinned one actually.

I plan to use the 4-pinned and buy a Y-splitter like you showed, and top that of with some extension until I reach the new fan in the back, and the one in the front. Would that be okay?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep sounds like you have the right plan. :) :)

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Sweet! :)

Thanks for all your help so far... And I'm sorry if you felt you had to explain some of these things too many times... :)

Then I could get down to ordering some RAM, some fans, some cables... And soon it should be leaner and meaner than ever! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nah hey I enjoy when someone asks lots of questions. It is the only way to learn and I really don't mind explaing myself more then once. Sometimes I forget that I may be helping someone who doesn't understand it that well. I appreciate the chance to help you. :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I'm not sure if you've gone through with this yet, but here's some pictures you may find interesting in regards to changing the CPU heatsink/fan. This is when I upgraded my own machine (quite some time ago now), however obviously if you're keeping the original you'd just put it on again instead of the huge mutha I have!

http://s280.photobuc...mview=slideshow

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
That's a beast you got there Troy! :)

For now I'll just stick with the heatsink I have - Maybe I'll take i off for cleaning but most likely I'll keep it on all together and clean it in position.

About the extra HDD drive I'll slot inside - will it need power? Or just a connection with the IDE ribbon?

If it needs power I'll use the "big" 4-pin Molex coming from the PSU and the 2 extra fans would need another supply - I got a "smaller" cable coming from the PSU as well(I don't know if it's a Molex cable as well - the holes for the pins are smaller - like the size of pins on the motherboard...??) - Could I use that - it got 4 pins - for the extra fans?

Edited by oviedo7, 21 January 2010 - 12:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IDE Cable
Power connection
Nope if you run out of molex connectors then you will need more Power Y's to connect everything up.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I found a reference with the 2 kind of connectors here - http://bitzotech.com.....ith Names.jpg... Seems like the mini-Molex one is simply a floppy drive power connector... :)

I've found a pin connection on the motherboard called something like SYSFAN1, but there isn't much room for any connection because of a PCI card... So I'll stick with the "real" molex from the PSU.

Could I split it once with a Y-splitter giving: a) one for the extra HDD and b) one with another Y-splitter for the 2 fans?

Could the single Molex from the PSU manage an HDD and 2 fans?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep floppy connector, won't work for fans.
Yes it should be able to handle it but if possible it would be better to use a different molex.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I only got 1 free Molex. Else I'd need to split one the connectors in the current harddrive or one of the 2 cd drives?

Edited by oviedo7, 21 January 2010 - 03:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep put a power Y on one of the hard drives.That is a acceptable way of doing it.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
So to be totally clear... :)

I should split the free molex once and use this for 2 fans,

and, split the molex now in the HDD and use it for the 2 HDD's?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Exactly...good job :) :)

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Haha great... Then I got it covered! :)