Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep, let me know when you have it all ready and what results you get.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Will do...

Could I hook the back-fan into the "SYSFAN1" connector on the MB? That way I could save some splitting and extension of cables. But is it the way to go?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the connection on the fan will work on the motherboard.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Some of the ones I'm looking at says they enable both 3-pin and 4-pin connection. And for both MB and PSU.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the connection on the fan Molex as in the larger white connector? If so I don't remember a connection on the motherboard that will accept anything like that.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Some of them show both a big Molex connection as those used for HDD's and smaller connections as those usually seen on the MB - like the the CPU fan fx. I was just curious whether the SYSFAN1 could be used... But I'll probably buy the cables needed for both solutions.

Would it be a good idea to take the heatsink of, clean the CPU and apply some new thermal paste?

If so, would cleaning alcohol or acetone do the cleaning? And how would the paste be applied? Should I spread it out or just apply a drop in the middle or?

Well... Basically - what's the gain of cleaning the CPU?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Would it be a good idea to take the heatsink of, clean the CPU and apply some new thermal paste?

If you can do this without damaging anything then yes. It only takes like a pea size of thermal paste on the cpu and then spread it out.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Well I might go for it... Just a bit worried I'd go and fry something or so... :) :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you don't take the cpu out of the socket then you should be ok. There usually is a latch that holds it down so don't raise it and the cpu will stay locked in.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I could still clean it without taking it out?

Could I use something like denatured alcohol to clean the old thermal paste?

Any advice on how to spread the new thermal paste out?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I could still clean it without taking it out?

Yes but just a little more harder since you will be working inside the system. I would suggest taking the cpu out but you have to be careful not to bend the pins on the bottom of the CPU. It is keyed to only fit one way in the socket so you have to make sure to put it back the correct way.

Could I use something like denatured alcohol to clean the old thermal paste?

All though i have never had to do this the best solution I have found is to use 100% rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. Then use a Microfibre type cloth to clean off the paper lint

Any advice on how to spread the new thermal paste out?

You could use the heatsink itself or your finger. The layer does not have to be very thick but the coverage is important. Like I stated before, a pea size drop of thermal paste will normally cover the surface well enough. If you have the heatsink off then apply the thermal paste to the bottom of the heatsink where it attaches to the CPU, Then just sit it back on top of the CPU and secure it down again.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 January 2010 - 06:21 AM.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Well then I might have a go at the CPU cleaning - it sounds as if it should be possible without making any damage. And if I'm a bit careful I shouldn't break any pins.

Would it affect the MB to split the SYSFAN1-plug with a Y-splitter and hook both the fans up on this? Or is that a bad idea?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
CPU cleaning is just something that has to be taken time at.
I would suggest do what you decided here...

So to be totally clear... happy.gif

I should split the free molex once and use this for 2 fans,

and, split the molex now in the HDD and use it for the 2 HDD's?

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 January 2010 - 09:58 AM.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay. So I shouldn't put 1 or 2 fans in the SYSFAN1? I would be more convenient with cables and all to use the MB connector - of course if it's bad it's bad...?

I ran an Everest scan on the computer, where it said the current RAM were PC2100 133MHz instead of the PC2700 333MHz like crucial guided me to. But I guess the PC2700 can still be used? But how much of their performance would be lost because of the lower speed?

Under the MB and FSB info, it said Real Clock=133MHz and Effective Clock=267MHz - would I get enough performance from the 333MHz RAM sticks?

I was beginning to think a new system would be better - then again considering my computer use it should be possible to kick a bit of life back to an old system like this... Buttom line though, is still that I wouldn't waste money or new hardware on an ancient MB or so. New RAM would be sweet but if the MB is too ancient causing a lot of the extra performance being wasted - a new system or new MB might be better value?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Okay. So I shouldn't put 1 or 2 fans in the SYSFAN1? I would be more convenient with cables and all to use the MB connector - of course if it's bad it's bad...?

That connector on the MB just isn't made for what you are thinking and may over power the MB causing a short.

I ran an Everest scan on the computer, where it said the current RAM were PC2100 133MHz instead of the PC2700 333MHz like crucial guided me to. But I guess the PC2700 can still be used? But how much of their performance would be lost because of the lower speed?

Yes it is what the MB can use and the speed difference is not that great. If you have two different speeds like that in your system the faster will slow down to match the slower anyway.

Going off the fact that the MB is good then just updating the memory to a gig or more helps the speed of the system when in Windows. If you want to rebuild then a new MB, CPU, Memory would give you a better and faster system. Doing this would require us to look at your case, CPU and video to make sure it would all be compatible. Depending on your budget you could get a new system like this one HERE which includes..Case, MB, CPU and memory for 200.00 USD plus shipping. You could then use your HD and Cdrom. The MB already has video but I don't know if it is better then what you have or if what you have is onboard or a add on card. Also you would probably have to reactivate Windows with Microsoft since you would have a new system. That is a phone call and a couple of minutes on the phone.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 January 2010 - 10:47 AM.