Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I'm sticking with my other power option then...

So the amount of speed-loss from the RAM sticks wouldn't be that massive? Would the sticks run with 133MHz or 267MHz as the effective clock says?

Then using 2 different sticks with different speeds would cause the faster to slowdown to match the slowest of the 2?

With the speed limitations of the MB and processor - would my system then benifit in terms of speed and such with added RAM? As it is now it's pretty much a disaster...

The system in the link looks great and strong. Must say I'm a bit tempted. Bringing that system from the States to where I live would take another 100 USD, but compared to prices here it's still a good deal. However I still think I'd postpone building a new system some time and try and force a bit more out of my current. Adding a bit of RAM, a fan or 2, maybe a new heatsink would give me some practice. I'l take care not throwing too much money after an older system like this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The clock would depend on the bios setting first and then the clock of the memory. It will slow itself down to match the slower clock either way.
The speed difference between the two ram specifications will be nominal at best.
The new system I linked to is one of many for that site. There is also NewEgg as another online store we use a lot here. I don't know if you have anything like that there where you live but it may be worth a look. The systems change also on the site i linked to so you may be able to find a better barebones system in the future.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Many great options on both Tigerdirect and NewEgg - Already I've found some good stuff with more or less included.

I don't know how significant the speed of the RAM is? But will the 333MHz RAM run with 133MHz as it's the "real clock" of the system or would they run with 267 since that's the "effective clock"?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They will only run at 267 since that is the clock of the MB. Now you could overclock but i am not a fan of that since it forces the cpu and memory to run faster then it is suppose to. This also increases the heat and the components usually will wear out faster. Just my opinion as others here say it works great.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Not too much difference from the 333MHz then. I'm just gonna stick with the regular clock and not try and overclock anything...

How do you determine if a heatsink will fit over your existing processor? The processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1666MHz. Do I need info on socket or so?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes the socket type is what you need for the fan and heatsink. Then you look for a fan for that socket type.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay. Seems like I'm looking for heatsinks compatible with Socket A / 462. I might see if there are some good deals around.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TigerDirect
NewEgg

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I decided to keep the old heatsink and just clean it up... I begun to hesitate a bit about throwing too much money and new components in an old system like this. The memory-upgrade, which I kept at 1GB, the extra fans and a lot of cleaning will give it some life and avoid any reboots from lack of airflow and overheating in the future.

When everything is done it's gonna be like a new computer - compared to the 512RAM I've been used to. After seing all the great and cheap options for some great new systems I decided to keep this upgrade to a minimum. All the money for even more RAM and new heatsinks etc. can be used better on a new system in the future I feel...

Now that leads me on to the next steps in the current project. I'd like to put the old HDD from the Medion inside the Compaq. How do I fare with that?

Should I use the XP-cd and format the HDD in the Medion before moving it or what? When everything's in place in the Compaq I'd like to make some partitions - how is that done the best way?

Edited by oviedo7, 24 January 2010 - 04:49 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you talking about adding a second hard drive to your system?

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Oh well I wasn't very clear about that... But yeah I'd like to bring in an extra HDD to the system. I don't have any cd's or so with drivers or anything, but I don't know if that's needed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope you hook the drive up and if it is on a IDE ribbon by itself then you have to change the jumper on the back for master or cable select. If it is on a IDE ribbon with the other hard drive or the cdrom then you will have to set it or a master with slave or slave depending on what the other drive is set for.
Once it is installed then all you have to do is format it or since you want to do partitions then there is a a couple of other steps that would need to be done.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
The ribbon which connects to the HDD in the Compaq has an extra connector where I would like to hook up the other HDD. The jumper of the current is set at "CS" - Should I change that to Master and then set the other HDD coming in as Slave?

I actually think I would like to keep the Slave as a whole drive with no partitions, but maybe make a partition on the Master. How is that done?

Back in the days I often installed some games, stored some media files and so on another partition as to keep it of the main C drive. Then again the partition takes up space from the C drive just as the files would do without a partition.

Maybe now with an extra HDD I could use that for storage and backup-files. I just heard that programs should be kept at same drive as the OS?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The jumper of the current is set at "CS" - Should I change that to Master and then set the other HDD coming in as Slave?

Yep you got it right.

I actually think I would like to keep the Slave as a whole drive with no partitions, but maybe make a partition on the Master. How is that done?

Now that is a little harder as you have to be careful not to lose the OS data. After the second hd is in place and working then we can tackle this.

Maybe now with an extra HDD I could use that for storage and backup-files. I just heard that programs should be kept at same drive as the OS?

First part is yes for sure. The second question well this is a personal preference but being on the same drive does make access faster. The best option is yes programs on main partition and data files on another. That way if something happens to main then the data should still be safe.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Yep you got it right.

Good good :)

Now that is a little harder as you have to be careful not to lose the OS data. After the second hd is in place and working then we can tackle this.

I'm actually planning to format everything and start all over with a fresh install of Windows. But no need to haste things of course. I'm also thinking of various ways of partitioning the Main drive. A partition for Linux or so could be pretty interesting. Also a partition for files such as documents etc. would be handy too. Other files to consider putting on a different partition?

In the past I used partitions for a bit of backup along with cd's and flashdrives. Also it saved me time after reboots since I didn't need to rip my cd's again. Also I put games on other partitions but that was more down to lack of space as reinstalling isn't that much of a hassle, and I guess performance would be better if placed on main drive?

Hope that wasn't too confusing... :)