Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope I have a triple boot system right now with XP Pro, WIn 7 and Linux..
I have 3 hard drives with two of the drives being used for OS's.
I keep my data all on one drive and my programs on the OS drives.
I would suggest getting the second drive in and working correctly and then the format of main drive and partitioned the way you like. Then the order you want to install OS's that I found to be the best way is to to install the Linux OS last and let it write the GRUB for the boot options. Grub stands for
Grand Unified Bootloader and is a fancy way of saying a way to choose to between which OS you want to boot to.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I got my RAM-stick to today - looking forward to boosting the computer with some much needed memory! :)

I got the extra HDD in place and the computer detected it by itself. Couldn't have been much easier. Thanks for the help with that! :)

Nope I have a triple boot system right now with XP Pro, WIn 7 and Linux..

So it is possible! I know I maybe don't have that much space to play around with but it would be interesting to try and explore Linux a bit. Maybe I could run it from a cd or a flashdrive, but I think I would rather have it installed.

I keep my data all on one drive and my programs on the OS drives.

What kind of data do you recommend stashing a bit away? I usually only have documents and some of my ripped cd's stashed away. Working with the little space I've been used to has meant I usually put documents and maybe some saved stuff from games on a cd every now and then.

Is the Grub a way of selecting which OS to boot to on start-up?

I was planning to use the extra HDD with 40GB to stash ripped cd's and backup my documents and savegames there, until putting them on cd's. I'm contemplating how and if to partition the 80GB HDD. I've heard partitions can help making things running quicker, but I don't know if that's and issue with 80GB?

Maybe a partition for games or just put that on the main drive - along with Windows. Maybe a partition for Linux - how much space would that take? I sometime exchange skateboarding clips with some friends abroad which calls for some downloads - therefore I was thinking about a "sandbox-partition" to keep downloads isolated from download to cd.

Edited by oviedo7, 26 January 2010 - 09:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So it is possible! I know I maybe don't have that much space to play around with but it would be interesting to try and explore Linux a bit. Maybe I could run it from a cd or a flashdrive, but I think I would rather have it installed.

Just about every Linux can be run from the cd as a Live cd. You can't do any adjustment to it but you can try it out and see if you like it. Once you decide you want to install it there is usually a icon to click to install it on the hard drive. I'm running my Linux on a 40 gig partition and it runs just perfect.

What kind of data do you recommend stashing a bit away? I usually only have documents and some of my ripped cd's stashed away. Working with the little space I've been used to has meant I usually put documents and maybe some saved stuff from games on a cd every now and then.

I keep movie, music and my Microsoft office data on a separate drive. Programs can be reinstalled but the data can't be replaced easily.

Is the Grub a way of selecting which OS to boot to on start-up?

Yes but while you are using the Live cd you won't have to worry about the Grub Once you install it to your hd then it should walk you through setting it up.

I was planning to use the extra HDD with 40GB to stash ripped cd's and backup my documents and savegames there, until putting them on cd's. I'm contemplating how and if to partition the 80GB HDD. I've heard partitions can help making things running quicker, but I don't know if that's and issue with 80GB?

Data storage yes i would say it is faster but for programs I'm not to sure about that one.

Maybe a partition for Linux - how much space would that take?

40 gigs like I described above should be plenty.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

I keep movie, music and my Microsoft office data on a separate drive. Programs can be reinstalled but the data can't be replaced easily.

Well that's about the same I could think of... I think I would put those on the extra hdd.

That would leave with the main drive with 80gb to OS and programs. I have often used seperate partitions for programs - but heard that placing programs on seperate drives aren't good?

Since games and so won't run on Linux and I'm used to Windows I think I would make extra space for that and limit the Linux to less than 40gb. Even though another partition holds another OS I could still put programs and such on it right - just like when using other partitions wihtout an OS?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would not suggest going below 20 gigs for linux if you decide to install it.
I have enver put programs on different drive because if you lose your OS drive you lose the programs anyway and besides when you install a program it has to write to the registry so a new install would not have the information anyway.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Since I've only tried Linux very very sparsely I would like to give it only a limited partition. Then again I could always install some stuff from the Windows OS partition to the Linux partition right?

I'm thinking of giving the windows, games and programs partition 50gigs of space, 25 for Linux (and programs from Win if I need it) and then 5 gigs as a "sandbox-partition" - maybe plus minus 2-3 gigs.

How does that sound?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One issue with Linux you need to know. Linux doesn't use EXE files like Windows.
You have to install a third party program Like Wine or Python depending on which Linux you are going to try. They are emulators and that is what makes Linux less likely to be hit by a virus since there are no EXE's for the virus to attach to.
25 gigs will be plenty for Linux to run so you are ok there. Also you have to realize that again depending on the Linux you try it will need up to 3 partitions it has to setup. So 25 gigs will probably be split up for it but that is plenty as I said before.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

You have to install a third party program Like Wine or Python depending on which Linux you are going to try. They are emulators and that is what makes Linux less likely to be hit by a virus since there are no EXE's for the virus to attach to.

Would I - at least in the beginning - need to run exe in Linux? I was thinking using Windows for that... Of course if Linux wins me over I might want more and more of Windows or Windows-like stuff on Linux.

About putting programs on the Linux partition was more meant as a way to install programs should I run out of space on my Windows partition. I guess when in Windows I could still put stuff on the other partitions - even though they contain Linux?... Hope you understand? (I don't think it will be an issue really - but since I've always been used to sparse HDD space putting stuff here and there has always been a habit). :)

I might put the "sandbox partition" on the "extra" hdd, thus I would have 50-55gigs for win and 25-30 for Linux...

Would certain Linux versions divide a partition even further to install? How does that work?

Could I listen to my music in Linux? - it's mainly mp3 and some ogg vorbis and some itunes stuff.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows doesn't recognize Linux partition types but Linux can see Windows Fat32 or NTFS.
There is only the installation program to install Linux on a drive. After that linux doesn't need Exe files at all.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay so setting up an 25 gig partition to use with Linux - would mean it was "lost" to Windows and it's programs? I thought that if I had given Linux 25gigs and then maybe Linux at some time only used 10gigs then I could - at least temporarily - put some Windows programs on that partition just as with any other partition?

Also you have to realize that again depending on the Linux you try it will need up to 3 partitions it has to setup.

Would Linux divide the initial partition even further?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes depending on the type of Linux you want to use it will partition the 25 gigs itself when installing.
Also take a look at this program HERE as it is suppose to allow windows to see Linux partitions. It does come with some problems though because some AV's will detect the partition as a virus.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Yes depending on the type of Linux you want to use it will partition the 25 gigs itself when installing.

Okay, well I trust Linux to what it's doing then. :)
Would such partitions disappear when changing to another Linux perhaps? If at some point I stop using Linux all together could I get the partition back to work with Windows again in an easy way?

Thanks for the link - it might come in handy - at least if it doesn't annoy Avast.

I was just curious as to the possibilities to exchange files between a Windows and Linux partition - but since I've been used to having Windows and programs stashed at 18gigs, I would probably be covered just fine since I would now have 55 gigs! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a look at this Topic HERE on how to setup a dual boot with Windows and Linux.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Couldn't I intall Windows first and set up the partition for Linux and then get going with that? I would like to have windows as my main OS.

Also, since I'm gonna format everything I was wondering about updating the BIOS if that's indeed possible?

It would be nice to get all the way around before starting to install everything - Any other things you could suggest to do since the system will be emptied?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Never update a bios unless there is something as far as functionality you are trying to get from the motherboard that the bios will give you.
It is also easier to install windows first and then Linux as it will set the grub up for you. Then you just choose which OS you want to boot to. It will default to Linux.