Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build, odd problems, detailed summary

• Please log in to reply

Keith22

Keith22

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a decent amount of experience compared to some when it comes to building computers. I have ordered all the parts and fully built about four now but I am having some odd problems with this set up. These are the parts listed as follows (please let me know if you see problems with them)

Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 Dual Channel Memory Kit (Part#: PDC22G6400LLK)

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black (Part#: OCZ500SXS)

Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio (Part#: THREE HUNDRED)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 2.8GHZ 1066FSB 3MB Retail (Part#: BX80571E7400)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty* (Part#: ST3500418AS)

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo ATX LGA775 DDR2 P45 2XPCI-E16 CrossFireX 3XPCI-E1 2XPCI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard (Part#: P5Q PRO TURBO)

Gigabyte GeForce GTS 250 OC 738MHZ 1GB 2.2GHZ DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I VGA HDMI Video Card *IR-$5* (Part#: GV-N250OC-1GI)

Liteon IHAS124 24X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM (Part#: IHAS124-04)

-----

Now for the details. What is happening is when I have the 8-pin PCI-E connector plugged in beside the processor, the system will not power up. When the power supply is switched on it shows the green light as being on and that power is being supplied through the motherboard but the system will not power up when I click the power button. Here is the weird part. When I unplug the 8-Pin PCI-E, the system will power up. All the fans come on accept the video card fan (Im starting to think the video card was DOA). I can hear the hard drive spinning, the disk tray works perfectly fine and pops in and out, and like I said all the fans are running. Even when I remove the video card completely and plug in the 8-pin PCI-E, the system will still not power up. It has to be unplugged for power to flow through everything and I cannot figure out why. I have included some pictures here to help give some visuals as to what the system looks like and what im talking about and what not. I have double and triple checked that everything is properly plugged in and to no avail, I can not get the system to power up with that 8 pin connector plugged in. If anyone has any ideas or things I should try, please let me know as the system is sitting directly beside me as we speak and I will try it right away and get back to you. Thanks alot, Keith.

Posted Image

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
When you unplug the card and the computer starts to run does it beep?If yes then check the bios beep code
If not try to start the computer with out the RAM and with and without the card.
If it beeps in both cases it could be the mother board
If it beeps only without the RAM and without the card and does not turn on at all then it could be that the card is doa or the slot on the board has a problem.
In this case try and borrow a graphics card from another computer to make sure that the board is OK

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try turning the cpu fan power connector around and reconnecting it.
Same problem then?

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 January 2010 - 08:13 PM.

Keith22

Keith22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem has been fixed guys. Turns out I was trying to put 8 pins worth of pci-e cables through the motherboard with the 6pin+2pin connector... very stupid mistake on my part. Got lucky with the psu and core two duo because fortunately the 4 pin supports duo cores. I am typing off the computer in the description. Thanks for the help guys.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good detective work and thanks for the resolution explanation. It will help someone in the future with the same issue.
Congratulations for a successful resolution to your issue.

Keith22

Keith22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah I figured I would post it just incase somebody pulls the same mistake I did. Thanks for the help.