Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluetooth on my Dell Studio 1737?

• Please log in to reply

JGWacky

JGWacky

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there

Happy New Year to everyone!

I have been trying to work out if my laptop has bluetooth capability. I thought it had, but I ahve spent all evening trying to work out how to use it, and have had no joy. I looked all over the Dell website and finally thought I needed to download something, but it didnt work.

I dont know much about computers, as you can probably tell, so if anyone thinks they can help, I would really appreciate if you could avoid using really technical terms, cos I just wont understand it!

I hope someone can help, as its really doing my head in now, and I am on a mission to get to the bottom of this!

Thanks in advance

JG

Advertisements

Nauni

Nauni

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello JGWacky

What model # of laptop do you have? You can find this on the bottom of your laptop.

Thank you
Naunid

JGWacky

JGWacky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its a Dell Studio 1737. There is a Bluetooth symbol on the laptop itself next to the WiFi and Battery symbol but it is not lit up like they are. It also does not appear on the bottom right of the screen

Nauni

Nauni

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello JGWacky

A couple of questions for you so we can be sure of the direction to take here. Is the bluetooth card installed? This is generally an optional item when ordering. What operating system are you using? To visual check if bluetooth card is installed open panel on bottom of the laptop, it is clearly marked WPAN. If installed there should be a card in this slot with a small wired snapped onto it.

Thank you
Nauni

JGWacky

JGWacky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there Nauni

I cant find anywhere on my laptop that is marked with WPAN. Does that mean that we dont have the capability on our laptop do you think?

Nauni

Nauni

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry, going to ask another question for a clear understanding :) If I am understanding you correctly, you opened the small cover on the bottom of your laptop and did not see a small mini-card inserted into a slot, correct?

If this is so, you will need to purchase and install this card. Please let me know and I will point you to somewhere to purchase this.

Thank you
Nauni

JGWacky

JGWacky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No I didnt open anything. At the bottom of the laptop the only thing I can open is the whole of the bottom, by the looks of it, and it will need a screwdriver of some sort by the looks of it. Apart from that there is a small section for the battery. I think I will just leave it and use a lead! I was under the impression when I bought this laptop that it had bluetooth, but its no big deal really. I'm not sure I feel very confident opening up the laptop and poking around inside............

thanks for taking the time to help though. Its much appreciated :)

Nauni

Nauni

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello JGWacky

If you change your mind about taking a look under that cover let me know. I would be very happy to assist you with it. It is really simple to do, but I do understand if you are not comfortable doing so.

Nauni

JGWacky

JGWacky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
He he. Is it the whole of the base that you are talking about? If it is, and I can be assured that it is OK to do this, then I will give it a go.

Nauni

Nauni

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello JGWacky,

This is going to be real easy, you dont have to touch nothing except for the screws and the outer cover. We are just going to take a look and see if the card is there. The first link I gave you is going to show you how to remove the cover, the second is going to show you the layout of the motherboard inside. After you have confirmed rather the card is or is not installed just replace the cover and screws. Be very careful not to touch anything on the inside of the laptop, just remove cover, take a peek in and replace the cover.

Your going to do great :)

To Remove Cover:

Dell Studio 1737 Bottom Cover Removal

Location of Where Card Will/Would Be Installed:

Posted Image

Let me know when you are going to do this and I will make myself available here for you during it.

Thank you
Nauni

Nauni

Nauni

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
also while you are looking, see if there is a card installed next to the bluetooth location, see how many wires are connected to it and get the model # off the sticker. Do not touch or remove the card to do so.

Thank you
Nauni

mick11

mick11

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello all and thank you in advance for any help....i have a dell studio 1737 that i have installed the bluetooth card in, i have downloaded the driver and when i started it up the first time the driver looked like it was done properly. i cant turn on my bluetooth, there is no icon in my tool bar and i cant connect another device to it. any advice would be appreciated.

mick11
Welcome to Geeks to Go

Please see this and Start your OWN NEW topic in the approriate operating system forum
http://www.geekstogo...articipate.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 May 2012 - 03:15 PM.
As shown