Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow computer!

• Please log in to reply

fbk29

fbk29

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, this is the first time posting for me. I need help desperatly i cant even use my computer,its 100% virus clean because i know how it got screwed up...though i cant fix it. i was playing diablo2 and for some reason lagged out then it wanted to apply a patch and got stuck at 98%, i got frustrated and closed my computer down by pressing the button on the tower ( not smart). anyway i restarted and it couldnt load anything so i had to press the button again and a check disk started to run upon boot up, it fixed something apparently but when it restarted everything ran so slowly..takeing up to 20mins just to start up my applications on start up, i have no idea why its takeing so long just because i turned the computer off ..thought it was in the middle of patching a game lol, any help would be appreiceted ty. It also takes about 20 minutes to shut down.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I need help desperatly i cant even use my computer,its 100% virus clean because i know how it got screwed up

How did you clean the virus and do you know what virus it had?
Also to see what may be causing the slowness let's start with the most obvious possibility.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

fbk29

fbk29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
k ill try disableing everything in start up( will probably take me 20 minutes lol, there is no virus though, that im sure of, theres something wrong with windows or my computer itself, also my computer keeps lagging or freezeing, sorry i didnt mention that...even after start up opening my documents may take forever. im useing a different computer to respond to this by the way

Edited by fbk29, 06 January 2010 - 10:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

there is no virus though, that im sure of,

Again how did you clean the virus? Malware can hide as legitimate programs and cause what is known as bloatware. This causes the system to slowdown.
I am just making sure so that everything we do doesn't get erased as soon as we're done.
I will do my best to get you back up and running but I do suggest after this is all done you make a trip to the malware forum and just let the techs check some scans and logs they can do that search deeper into your system.
Also when you have everything unchecked in startups and reboot could you please do the following before doing anything else from the first instructions.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

fbk29

fbk29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i cant even open run... maybe my hardrive is just gone? the patch was downloaded through battle.net so it couldnt have been a virus, as i siad i turned my computer off in the middle of it patching, i dont know what to do=(, ill keep wiating for it to open...i realized when i went back it hasnt even finished opening all my progrms on startup...msn just popped up 30 minutes after i logged on, my virus program nod32 had a kernel error so it wouldnt start up, ill disable all startups asap though, ty for your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure this is disabled. This I'm sure is part of the problem.

nod32 had a kernel error

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 January 2010 - 10:18 PM.

fbk29

fbk29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well im trying to do this stuff you say but its almost impossible with my computer laging to even close my documents, i checked proceses doesnt look like anything unusual is there that wasnt there before, also idle procceses is running at 99 all the time, though cpu usage stays at 4%-5% and 450mb's ram out of 3gb's, unplugged my internet.

fbk29

fbk29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok i litterally cant do anything, my taskbar is on auto hide and wont even show up...it lags trying to switch tabs between procceses and performance in the task manager( im trying lol =( ) just wondering if thers a hardrive fix you know of or if i should some how try to make it do another disk check on start up? sorry lol, this sucks=(

fbk29

fbk29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well if it means anything in runs fine in safemode..idk if you still willinf to help lol,but ya

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I was just going to suggest trying out safemode...

Now that you have seen it works in safe mode I would do as Rshaffer has said...

You may have a Malware problem...

Use safemode with networking to download and access these pages from the computer...(the one with the problems)

Please click --> HERE

That guide will help you remove 70% of your problems...

Then please click --> HERE

That is the forum for infections. Please post a NEW TOPIC in that forum.

Please remember to copy and paste the requested logs in your reply. Especially the OTListIt log...

If it is not a virus then there is a conflict in your computer... But i'd be willing to bet it is malware...

Thank you and good luck :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes I agree with Cbarnard. The steps can be run in Safe Mode as far as the MSConfig Startup steps.
Try that and once everything is unchecked then reboot and see if the issue then happens in normal mode. If not then we know it is a driver problem.
Be patient and we will help you get through this.