Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Personal Antivirus (a variant of)

• Please log in to reply

Melody24

Melody24

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Everyone,

This is for an XP laptop. I desparately need any help you can provide. I was trying to remove some spyware and viruses off of a friend's computer (popups everywhere, desktop screen hijacked with big virus warning, most programs wouldn't load) and it wouldn't recognize usb stick or cd rom. It even disabled task manager. So I restarted and pressed f8 to get to Safe mode; it would try to load, then it would come back to the "we're sorry for the inconvenience" screen with the safe mode, last good configuration, and normal options. Tried all other options (except for normal) and it still wouldn't boot. Then I did something stupid. I logged on normally, and used run menu to get to msconfig, where I thought I could force it into safe mode so I could remove all of the viruses. Well, it would try for safe mode, but it wouldn't load, so it kept restarting itself. So I decided to boot from XP cd to try to repair the installation. I chose set up (Not the repair console), and then when it told me I could repair or overwrite the installation, I chose repair. Well, it was working until it tried to restart to finish all of the repairs, and it booted to safe mode, where I got the message "XP set up cannot continue in safe mode. Restart?" I don't know how to get it out of safe mode since I did it in msconfig, and now I can't even get it to boot any configuration.

Please help.

Advertisements