Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Outlook Express Files from Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Rusty747

Rusty747

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently replaced my old (XP) PC. I expected to be able to connect the old hard drive to my XP lap top and be able to read the emails in the outlook express programme on my removed hard drive but I am completely unable to find them. I can locate outlook express in the programme files but I need to find the application data from the old hard drive and after several hours of searching through files I just cant get there.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem and is there a default location for received emails?

Thanks everyone.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Outlook Express uses .dbx files. do a search for them and you will have your folders.
Johanna

Rusty747

Rusty747

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Johanna,

Just tried that and got some very strange results. I connected the removed XP hard drive to my XP lap top and got one search result as follows:

E:\Documents And Settings\Administrator\My Documents

When I tried to locate the file I got as far as \Administrator but there was no sub folder called My Documents in \Administrator.

Even odder (I think) is that no .dbx search results were returned for the outlook express programme on the C drive of my XP Lap top.

I am no expert on these matters (thats why I am here!) but I think something is very wrong with the removed hard drive. Is there anything I can try to recover information that might be hiding in there? Specifically, emails and email addresses from the outlook express programme?

Best wishes.

Rusty747