Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp wont go past 2nd POST screen

• Please log in to reply

edeaglescout

edeaglescout

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i have a dell 4550. the hard drive crashed. i took the hard drive out and put it in another cpu and reformated it and reinstalled windows xp, updated it to SP3 and all other updates. put hard drive back in origional cpu and booted into windows get keyboard failure during post, but it still works. installed all drivers for motherboard, chipset, video and such. only drivers not on disk that came with cpu were for lan and audio. rebooted cpu to finish installing drivers and now cpu goes to post, i get a keyboard error still and it asks to select OS. keyboard wont work and when it gets past that cpu shuts down. does it every time i boot into windows. if i unplug ps/2 mouse durring os selection screen and plug it back in, and reboot keyboard gets failure error but will work, select os and it asks to boot normal, safe or last known good config, if i select normal or safe it shuts down. if i go to last known good config it will boot into windows b4 drivers were installed and works fine untill the drivers are installed again and reboot. i know its a hardware problem on the motherboard and when the drivers are installed it crashes windows. how can i tell what driver is causing the problem so i can uninstall it and disable the part of the hardware that is causing the problem? i know it is only a short term fix but i need the cpu untill i can get a new one or replace the motherboard.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you install windows while the hard disk was on the other computer? If yes, that was wrong. The installation should be made on the computer that will run windows. Your best option is to start afresh with the disk in the original computer. You can also run XP repair when the disk is in the original computer but I would prefer the first option by far.

edeaglescout

edeaglescout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i ran the fresh install with it in the other computer cause i didnt have the original cpu at the time, but i have done it numerous times as long as the drivers are uninstalled b4 removing the hard drive and the correct drivers are installed when its put it the new cpu and have never had a problem b4, i have run the windows repair and it has not fixed the problem. the problem is with the a component on the motherboard, but im not sure how to tell which one it is

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to install as I suggested. You can't really tell where the problem is unless you do that.