Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Upgrade Key Activation?

• Please log in to reply

Moeror

Moeror

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Ok. I built my own computer. My brother talked me into getting the cheap student version of windows 7 upgrade and said that I could clean install it. Well I did manage to install it with the DVD that I got with it. However, whenever I try to activate it with my key it keeps giving me an error saying that it's an upgrade key and not usable for clean installs. Am I screwed? Am I going to need to buy the full version and use it's key?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Am I screwed? Am I going to need to buy the full version and use it's key?

yep

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Are you sure?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless you previously had an OS installed on the system that is an acceptable upgrade target (i.e. windows vista) then yes...i'm sure (i rarely say things just to say them)

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Well I trust you. It's just the monkey with the cigar that made me question my judgement for a second ;P

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
never mistrust the monkey, it's bad for your health

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Not to counter the Monkey, but there are 3 options that you can do:

1) perform the clean install with the upgrade media. Register. If successful then you done. This does not work for everyone as you know.

2) call microsoft and get an activation key from them.

3)there is a registry hack you can do, but not supported by Microsoft.

4) use the double install method that is supported by Microsoft.

Full documentation here

As you are having issues with blue screens I would not try anything until TechExtreme finishes helping you. We want to keep the process of elimination as simple as possible.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I've used method #4 in the past with success. But keep in mind, it isn't really supported by M$ since your using the upgrade to clean install then upgrade the clean install of the same version again.

I'd try calling microsoft, When I put Win7 Pro on my primary desktop I had the RC version which is not upgradeable. So I called them explained the situation and they unlocked my license key to work for retail clean installs.

BTW if you do call Microsoft, plan on being on the phone for atleast an hour if not more. Also DO NOT CAlL DIGITAL RIVER, they don't help at all! I've had better luck talking to Microsoft Directly.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I've used method #4 in the past with success. But keep in mind, it isn't really supported by M$ since your using the upgrade to clean install then upgrade the clean install of the same version again.

I'd try calling microsoft, When I put Win7 Pro on my primary desktop I had the RC version which is not upgradeable. So I called them explained the situation and they unlocked my license key to work for retail clean installs.

BTW if you do call Microsoft, plan on being on the phone for atleast an hour if not more. Also DO NOT CAlL DIGITAL RIVER, they don't help at all! I've had better luck talking to Microsoft Directly.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you use method 4 ...and after you have activated it
Navigate to the system cleanup...All Programs...Accessories...System Tools...Disk Cleanup...
Let disk cleanup analyze the hard drive. Click the button that says Clean up system files.
remove old versions of windows
This will scan the hard drive again, this time including system files. The next screen will give you an option to remove old versions of Windows. put a checkmark next to this option and hit the ok button. . You should now have a completely clean install of Windows 7 from an upgrade disc.

rickart

rickart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate with a key that now says is invalid. Im willing to go for a valid key, no interest in a full re-install, everything is as i like it now...is there an answer to this other, than full install version which costs way too much!!! Too Many thanks rick