Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Fiesta/Win 7

• Please log in to reply

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Did the blue screens reappear after reinserting the second stick of ram?

Were you able to "up" the voltage?

Advertisements

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Yeah, with just 1 stick (2gb) no blue screens. I was able to up the voltage to 1.6 and its been blue screening same as usual with the 2nd stick in.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Ok. That tells us that you need a little more voltage as I suspected.

Push the voltage to 1.65V and then retest your computer.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I upped it to 1.65 volts in BIOS. Will let you know.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
blue screens.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Are the blue screens happening with the same programs and same time intervals or are the more frequent?

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
They are about the same intervals as before. Usually when I first start the computer up during the day. They never happen in the evening. Usually once i start it up it happens about 5 minutes later whether im using it or not. Then usually its when I'm using the browser. After that if I totally shut it down and start it back up again then it usually stops it. I have a feelin I'm gonna have these errors forever.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I'd like you to check some things for me if you would please. Go into your BIOS. Go to Power then HW Monitor Configuration.

Give me all voltage readings from this page.

Can you also have a look at your memory timings and tell me what they are set to? ( i.e auto or the value )

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
All the timing was set to auto.
The voltages was
VCORE 1.296v
3.3V 3.36v
5V 5.068v
12V 11.97v

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Go back into your BIOS and goto the memory timing settings. Set them to Manual and set these settings:

DRAM CAS# Latency - 8
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 8
DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 8
DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 21

Once again look at your memory voltage and make sure it is set to 1.65V.

Let me know if this helps.

Advertisements

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
bluescreen

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Is your memory plugged into only the orange slots, only the black slots or one in each?

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
First 2 orange slots.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Been following this thread to see where Tech was going with this line of troubleshooting. Very good advice. I have a couple of thoughts that might generate something useful (or not) :)

Found some useful info at the gskil forums: http://gskill.us/for...display.php?f=2

I've reviewed the qualified memory list for this system board. Your specific memory modules are not listed. This doesn't mean they won't work, just that they are not on the list of those that are known to work. I think the only way to tell if your having compatibility problems, switching to memory that is on this list would be a logical step. I've attached the file for reference.

Attached Files

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks starjax, that was going to be my next place to go with this.

Moeror, I think we've gone quite a long way with the testing and tweaking of your memory, memory settings, and voltages. On the Gskill forum page that starjax linked, you will find some information about gskill memory and the tweaking that goes along with it. As noted by starjax, your memory is not on the Qualified memory list for your motherboard. As was stated, it does not mean it "will not work" but from a few things I have read, some people are running into the same problems as you. Boot up, blue screen in 15 minutes or less, reboot and the machine is ok. Is this acceptable? In my book, no. The continual blue screen will soon lead to corrupted files in your windows os meaning either repair installation, or reinstallation of your operating system.

I have one more suggestion that might help as it seems to be a voltage problem with your memory. You were able to get your system running without any blue screens with 1 stick installed at 1.65V. I'm wondering if we can push the voltage to 1.68 or even 1.7V and get any better results.

***NOTE*** These voltages are higher than GSkill's recommended voltages so I would only use it for testing to see if you get any better results.

Hope this helps,