Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron I6000 power jack problems

• Please log in to reply

CassimirEffected

CassimirEffected

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello,

Man you guys have helped me so much in the past...THANKS IN ADVANCE!

My Dell Inspiron I6000 power jack receptacle (the thing the power adapter plugs into in the back of the laptop)is screwy. It's not the plug, I've tried various ones.

It only powers up when the cord is pressed against something or "fidgeted" with...

I've read around on the internet and it seems many people have had this problem with this computer. And of course there are all kinds of shady "company's" that say they'll fix it for X amount of money.

Is this something I could do myself? Or any recommendations on who I could send it to?(maybe one of you guys? I'd pay of course.)

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a lot of times when what you're describing happens it's because the port itself is separating from the motherboard....which can happen as it's usually just connected to the board at the bottom of the port and not supported at the top...so any wiggeling of the port can loosen it overtime.

you can open the machine up and see if that port is loose...if it is you could either resolder it (you would need some decent soldering skills to do that correctly) or you could glue the thing in place or in some other way mechanically fasten the thing down. i was once able to fix one of these with some JB weld and a few rolled up pieces of paper to wedge the port down between the case and the board.

CassimirEffected

CassimirEffected

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The port was loose...I tried to mess w/it little bit but I am in no way experienced in soldering I tried a fix w/some pieces of paper but I think it needs to be reconnected to the board.

Any thoughts?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're not versed in soldering you will want to find someone who is...either a computer shop or an electronics teacher or someone like that