Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing an essential missing cable....

• Please log in to reply

BeforeDawn

BeforeDawn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I purchased a Medion Tower PC together with an external hard disk which connected physically into the top of the Tower. After 4 years of hard use the PC gave up the ghost, thankfully I had taken backups to the external disk. Now I have a real problem.... how do I find a power cable for the external HD?

A month of wasted emails to the manufacturer have brought no answers, and I'm rapidly running out of stores to visit for assistance.

The model of external hard disk is Medion 250GB USB 2.0, COMPATIBLE TO USB 1.1 HDDrive2GO MD 90046.04.
Info on the reverse of the unit states the requirements as: Input: 12V === 2A --- +-

The only piece of useful information gained from the manufacturers is that we require a standard round pin connector AC adapater.

I even purchased a multi 1000mA Mains adaptor today, after being advised that this was a 'catch all' - but
that didn't work either...!

Please help...... :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi BeforeDawn and welcome.

Unless this is a way off the wall drive, most are put in to a USB enclosure and connected to the computer with the USB cable The enclosure would have a power connection and a internal board to convert the 110vac to the required DC voltage.

What generally makes the drive "external" is that it is already in a case.

Not knowing whether this is a 2.5 inch laptop drive or a 3.5 inch standard driv, I cant offer you specifics.
Is it a ide drive or a sata drive?

USB google search for drives

BeforeDawn

BeforeDawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi BeforeDawn and welcome.

Unless this is a way off the wall drive, most are put in to a USB enclosure and connected to the computer with the USB cable The enclosure would have a power connection and a internal board to convert the 110vac to the required DC voltage.

What generally makes the drive "external" is that it is already in a case.

Not knowing whether this is a 2.5 inch laptop drive or a 3.5 inch standard driv, I cant offer you specifics.
Is it a ide drive or a sata drive?

USB google search for drives

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
So what are you trying to tell us by just quoting what I already said.
You offer no explanation or furthur information.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just open the enclosure, take the drive out and buy a new usb HD enclosure off the shelf. problem solved