Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows/system32/config/file missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

fallacy

fallacy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
All as per Broni's guide I used the no cd recovery way btw as I have no clue where my cd could be anymore.

http://www.geekstogo...pt-t242795.html

Steps 1 and 2 work for me.

When i reach step 3 it says:

Microst Windows XP<TM> Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

C:\>

It is black and white like your print screen.

However, the C:\WINDOWS part and everything below it does not come up.

[EDIT:] When I type in help my available commands are

ATTRIB
BATCH
BOOTCFG
CD
CHDIR
CHKDSK
CLS
COPY
DEL
DELETE
DIR
DISABLE
DISKPART
ENABLE
EXIT
EXPAND
FIXBOOT
FIXMBR
FORMAT
HELP
LISTSVC
LOGON
MAP
MD
MKDIR
MORE
NET
RD
REN
RENAME
RMDIR
SYSTEMROOT
TYPE

And when I type the codes (on the page above) it says the command is not recognized I tried 0-9 as far as number inputs and have tried typing C:\>Windows and then enter they all come up with not recognized

What shall I do?

Edited by fallacy, 09 January 2010 - 04:20 PM.

Advertisements

fallacy

fallacy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
bump

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

C:\>

It is black and white like your print screen.

However, the C:\WINDOWS part and everything below it does not come up.

This is not good. You did not format the drive did you?
What steps have you taken besides what you have described above?
Is your hard drive seen in the bios?
Is there data that you need to make sure is safe?

fallacy

fallacy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I left for work 6 in the morning came back after work I had a BSOD or stop code up I shut down with power button rebooted up and now the line appears that the system is corrupt. I used broni's guide that sounds pretty legit and would work, except to the point where I got to the command line editted into my original post. However if mine being different means that way will not work then yes I would have no problem losing info as long as I can get my OS running again I could re-add most of my critical applications so formatting wouldn't be bad i just have no idea how to do it safely.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Data can be saved for the most part using a Linux Live Cd
If you are not worried about it then we can do a format if you wish. I would suggest trying a Repair Installation first as this would hopefully get you back up and running.
Do you have a XP cd to use?

fallacy

fallacy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no the only cd i got is the one i burnt using broni's guide

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I need to know some information then to continue
Desktop or Laptop
Brand name or Custom built
Model name and number if brand name
Did you download the RC from where Broni's instructions say?
Can you tell me what happened right before the issue started?

fallacy

fallacy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

OK I need to know some information then to continue
Desktop or Laptop
Brand name or Custom built
Model name and number if brand name
Did you download the RC from where Broni's instructions say?
Can you tell me what happened right before the issue started?

Desktop
Custom built by someonelse
N/A
RC Assuming you mean recovery console if so then yes
then the issue started 7 days ago i left for work at 6 in the morning with my computer on then came back had a bsod that read kernal instack page error i believe the stop code was 0x0000077 could be wrong tho then when i restarted by power cycling the computer on the reboot it gave me the error saying windows/system32/config/file missing or corrupt

then i searched on the net for fixes found this site i followed the guide that broni posted on someonelse's link but tried it only to find a new glitch in the plan.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now comes the hard part.
Since you did not get a XP disk (I assume that is the OS you have installed) you have two options.
Borrow a XP of the same type that is on your system... Home, Media Center or Pro or purchase a new OS disk.
Since the Recovery Console method did not work then I can only assume you got a bad burn or a bad download.
You can retry downloading it and burning a new disk. Then retry the steps or doing the above we can do the same thing with a OS disk.
i also found this on the explanation of your stop code.

Stop 0x00000077 or KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR - This message indicates that the requested page from virtual memory could not be found or read into RAM or physical memory. It can also indicate disk hardware failure, disk data corruption, or possible virus infection of the master boot record.

Now we can test the memory and the hard drive to see what happens.
There is also the option of running chkdsk /r from a Recovery Console disk as described above. This may fix the issue itself.
I would suggest following the steps of testing
Memory
Hard Drive
Chkdsk /r

Then if no joy we go for the steps Broni outlined. Then if still no joy we go for a Repair Installation or Parallel Installation.
Let me know how you want to proceed and I will reply with the instructions for the appropriate steps.

fallacy

fallacy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ill prolly need to purchase a new os disk and not lose it this time but the recovery console chkdsk just tells me one or more drives are corrupt or something like that

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Corruption is not good.,
You can try hard drive diagnostic to check the physical hard drive for any problems with the platters inside.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

fallacy

fallacy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i broke down and got windows 7 even though i wanted to wait 6 mos for bugs and glitches to shake out but i heard you can run it in xp mode that was interesting to me however i would like to know how to remove my old os thats corrupt if you know a way to do that i would appreciate it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are wanting to format it then just put the Win 7 cd in and when it prompts you have it format and install win 7 fresh.
This will rid you of everything on your hard drive.