Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sata smothering other deveces

• Please log in to reply

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I recently had a few problems with my comp. infact, 4 problems. now i got my comp working, using my sata as the boot...works fine. my old hd (failing) and a cd drive and a dvd rw both arnt working...i also have a virtual drive (H). at one point, they all worked in harmony...
:tazz:

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
can you see the IDE drives on bios?
are the jumper settings for the drives correct, do the drives spin up, etc.

the virtual drive will be a software thing, it only exists of that hard drive is up and running.

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
in cmos, it says all IDEs are empty except pri master which is set to sata. pin 1 lines up with red and black lines, jumpers are correct, ect... it may have something to do with this too :tazz:

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
2 things come straight to mind. 1st, have you set the IDE channels to autodetect? it should detect the IDE hard drive that way, and may find the CD's. you may need to set those to CD drive, dont know the specifics of your board.
2nd, primary master set to sata? havent seen that...usually you have to set boot order to floppy, CD, then boot other device. your board may be different- if so, whats the make/model?

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
my mb has duel bios, flash, mib, cia, ect. yes, sata does have a swich in pereferals, maybe this is the problem... the ise auto select only comes for hdd auto, cant swich to cd or anything. mb is 8IPE1000P 1.x

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I would be curious for you to try setting the boot boot order to floppy, CD, then SATA. it sounds like its going straight to the SATA right now, and skipping even detecting the other devices.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You might also be well advised to check the PNP OS setting in your Bios and set to no if its currently set to yes. Don't think Gigabyte boards are set this way, but the older DFI LanParty boards require IDE 1 Primary be void of any drive if the SATA header is used.

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
ill try that, it seems to me that would be a dumb solution...but it makes sense. The pereferal sata swich does voin the pri master ide so the sata signal only uses that channel.

Nixx

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
my pri master isnt plugged into anything. in my bios, the order is floppy, cd, disk. i only saw the options floppy, cd, zip, LP120, usb, and disk (and disabled). no 'other device'. what order should i set to?
The pin one indicater on the cable faces down on the mb right?

Nixx

Edited by nixx, 19 May 2005 - 06:52 AM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
No, no - right church, wrong pew. You should have something up at the top of your Integrated Peripherals or PNP page which permits you to select PNP OS - yes or no - thats the setting I want to try toggling. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

edit: just read your edit and audioboy's post a few items up the page. He's right on the money re: boot devices and order - set them according to his instruction and then if necessary, go back to what i said above. I edited out my comments above after yours, so as not to confuse further.

Edited by Rockster2U, 19 May 2005 - 07:27 AM.

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
sata isnt a choice for boot order, i dont see pnp os either. it doesnt work set as
1. floppy
2. CD
2. HDD
although it does still boot up after attempting boot from floppy.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
boot to other device is not in the standard set boot order menu. its usually on the same page in bios, but is a seperate entry. it should appear shortly after where you set the standard boot order.
also, usually want to remove HDD from the standard boot order. that settings sends it looking for an IDE hard disk. if you ever install one (say for extra storage, or to move files, test a HD out) it will try booting to that first.
by removing HDD from boot order, you ensure you wont have a problem.

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
i do see a pnp/pci section, but there are only pci controls...
no HD in bios, still boots, still no ide devices. what about the ide controls in prefs? it has em set to channels or something. maybe its the physical ide config... what should they be set to? still no "use other device" anywhere.
The drives do open and the lights work.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

The pin one indicater on the cable faces down on the mb right?

Nixx

View Post

missed this one earlier- the IDE cables should be keyed, having a tab sticking out on one side, so that it only fits into the slot one way. if the cable is not keyed, you may be using an older, imcapatible IDE cable.
on the drive side, if you look closely at where the cable goes in, one corner will have a little #1 by it. the red stripe is for pin 1.

now for the BIOS- can you see the CD drives listed under IDE devices?

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
nope, it says
pri master: [SATA model number}
pri slave: none
sec master: none
pri slave: none

at one point, they all worked in harmony...

the primary cable is keyed, the secondary is not. what if i take out the primry cable all together?

Edited by nixx, 19 May 2005 - 07:30 PM.