Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Website Criticism Please

• Please log in to reply

theblindbandit

theblindbandit

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello!

I just barely joined "geekstogo.com". I really like this site and what it is all about - I have a feeling i will be on here quite a bit!

I currently have 3 websites, and one of them I sell rare golf balls on. I would like some criticism. Not just constructive criticism - the mean kind too. I want to hear your opinions and suggestion. What you like, dislike, or something that should be added. It is a "free" website, and will be until I feel that it is good enough to buy a custom domain. Your options and criticism would be much appreciated!

My site:

http://www.nikeoneblackball.webs.com/

I am using webs.com as my web host. One of my website that I have is a .com (not ".webs.com"), which is also being hosted by webs.com. I am not completely satisfied with their system - I really like blogspot.com's tools, widgets and other things. What web host would you recommend?

Thanks!

Advertisements

kfawcett

kfawcett

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The site is very basic. I get how you are trying to match the site with the balls, but the yellow text is extremely hard to read. I would some other combination.

I would also suggest getting off of the free hosting and moving to a share web hosting provider. That way you can use your own domain that doesn't have .webs.com on it and get rid of their banner ads.

Edited by sari, 26 January 2010 - 08:25 AM.
Removed spammy link

theblindbandit

theblindbandit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What about now?
Visit My Website

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
bandit:

Here are my suggestions:

1. Your CSS isn't putting the large photo of the black ball, or it's description, inside your table (or DIV Container). My monitor is 22 inch widescreen at 1680 x 1050. Make sure your alignment is within the DIV of that portion of your page, not the body of the page.
2. I would remove the hit counter. That screams "Personal Site". The last time a hit counter was cool was on the TY page back during the beanie craze. Even then, it was only cool because their counter reached the billions! You can use other methods of tracking visitors.
3. In the footer, I would put spaces in your copywrite information.
4. To really make the page pop, try making the body of the page a different color than the main DIV. You could sample some of the gold from one of the golf balls...that might be nice (use a very light shade of gold).
5. The home page should really contain a "Welcome" message and a small description of your company and not a huge description of a product you're trying to sell. That information should be on the "store" page and quite possibly, only visible when I click the product I'm interested in. This is a little more difficult for you since you only sale one item, but it could still work and will be a great starting point if and when you ever add other products to your lineup.

Except the alignment of that one picture, I'd say the rest is "just my opinion". Even still, those are all minor tweaks that you can make in a short amount of time - should you choose to do so.

Everything else looks good. The photos you use are small file size but still nice and clear. That's great. I notice though, that your photo is actually larger than the frame it sits in. You can crop your photos to fit the frame and make the file sizes even smaller. As of now, their small enough I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Good luck with your business.

Magus