Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Rapid Clicking on Boot Up

• Please log in to reply

Pseosis

Pseosis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have seemed to develop a problem that Im not sure how to solve. When I boot up my computer there is a rapid clicking noise that comes from the motherboard speaker that lasts until Windows starts up. The computer boots up fine and goes to the Desktop fine. The problem Im having next is that the computer will occasionally freak out with the best description being that its like you are continuously clicking the mouse trigger. This leads to rapid selection of whatever is moused over or the loading of multiple internet pages.
I orginally thought it might be a virus deeply embedded in the operating system but a fresh install has eliminated that. I have also changed out the mouse and still the same result. I guess at this point Im looking for ideas of what I could check or if anyone has an idea of what may be the problem. This doesnt happen all the time and sometimes takes awhile for it to happen. Outside of that the computer operates normally. Thanks for any insight that anyone could pit out there as I have never run across this issues before.

Edited by Pseosis, 07 January 2010 - 09:46 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are you sure, that clicking noise is not coming from your hard drive?

Pseosis

Pseosis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Im sure its not the hard drive because the sound is more like if you were to hold a key on the keyboard down during boot up. I took the cover off the side and listened directly while it booted up. Like I said all things sound fine after that intial start up.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Get a chopstick.
With the case open, put one end of the chopstick to the hard drive and the other end into your ear (be careful...LOL). Start the computer. You'll know, if it's hard drive, or not.